Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Mendenhall River crests at a record 16.65 Ft

The Mendenhall River reached its peak crest at 16.65 feet around 7:15 a.m. this morning, according to the National Weather Service.

Sean, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, confirmed that water levels are expected to gradually recede throughout the day.

“We’ve determined that a crest occurred of around 16.65 feet, around 710, 7:15, this morning.” Said Sean, “From that point though, it will still take
15 to 45 minutes for areas further downstream to also observe this crest in river.”

No additional rainfall is forecast for Juneau through Friday, which should help stabilize river conditions.

“We will see water levels continue to drop, so through today and tomorrow, and even into Friday, we are not having any additional rainfall, so there should be no extra input into the basin.”

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Flood crest expected this morning; no HESCO breach reported

The National Weather Service operations, photo courtesy of the National Weather Service.

NOTN- As of this morning, the Mendenhall River remains in major flood stage due to the ongoing release from Suicide Basin and three days of heavy rain. As of 5 a.m., the river was at 15.78 feet and rising.

Forecasters expect it to crest between 16.25 and 16.75 feet late this morning, with the highest likelihood near 16.75 feet around 8 a.m. The river is expected to drop below flood stage by Tomorrow.

According to the City and Borough of Juneau, HESCO barriers have not been breached, officials reported ponding water on Meander Way and Marion Drive, which is not a breach of the barriers themselves.

According to CBJ this is water seepage at the barriers and crews have installed water pumps.

City and staff continue to monitor conditions and will provide updates as things change.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

As flood preparation increases, officials prepare for school closures

NOTN-Juneau’s Unified Command is preparing residents for the anticipated , Suicide Basin release that could cause flooding along the Mendenhall River.

Once water begins to spill from the basin, the National Weather Service will issue a flood warning, and the Unified Command will send evacuation advisories through multiple channels.

City and school district officials are preparing for possible closures affecting all Juneau schools, even though only three are located along the river. The district said closures could last as long as the evacuation advisory remains in effect.

Juneau Mayor Beth Weldon says they are moving through the evacuation as if the HESCO Barriers – which are placed along Mendenhall river – aren’t there.

“We’re assuming that they will work.” Said Mayor Weldon “We did this all with the Army Corps of Engineers, they were quite excited about them working, and we’re hopeful that things will be much better than last year. But again, it’s still a flood area, so we are asking people evacuate.”

If the advisory is issued before the school day begins, classes will be canceled. If flooding is expected during the day, at-risk schools may release students early or relocate them to safe sites for parent reunification. Guardians and emergency contacts must provide photo ID to pick up students.

In some cases, bus riders who live in the evacuation area but attend schools elsewhere may be taken to a central pickup point outside the flood zone rather than back into affected neighborhoods.