Categories
Alaska News Featured Juneau News juneau Juneau Local Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Modeling shows rising long-term flood risk in Mendenhall Valley as HESCO barrier work continues

A drone image shows widespread flooding in the Mendenhall Valley on Tuesday morning. (Image courtesy of Rich Ross)
A drone image shows widespread flooding in the Mendenhall Valley in 2024. (Image courtesy of Rich Ross)

NOTN- City officials and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers representatives outlined ongoing and proposed flood-mitigation work last night.

The Committee of the Whole work session focused on HESCO barriers and river armoring installed after the series of glacial lake outburst floods in recent years.

Mike Records, the Technical Lead for the Army Corp of Engineers, outlined the hydrology of the system, how the flood water moves.

His presentation estimated flood risk. those estimations will be used to design short, medium and long-term protections.

Engineers discussed “Annual Exceedance Probability” or AEP, which was once referred to as “100 Year Flood.”

This means the chance that a flood of a certain size will happen in any given year. For example, a “1% AEP” flood has a 1% chance of happening each year.

But according to officials, those odds add up over time. Even a rare flood becomes much more likely if you look over many years. A flood with a 1% yearly chance has about a 40% chance of happening at least once over 50 years.

“A 1% annual exceedance probability event would be the equivalent of a 100-year event, there is a low chance of that happening, but over time, those chances compound.” Records said, “The annual exceedance probability events that we developed are peak discharge events that we then used in hydraulic modeling to inform decision making on design. You’ll see that a lot of these events are significantly larger in magnitude than anything that’s been experienced at this point.”

In most places, engineers rely on decades of historical data to estimate flood risk, but in this case, there are only about three years of major data available.

“There’s flooding all over the country, it’s rare that it develops so suddenly like this.” Records said, “So normally, you might have like a 60 year period of record of flood events that you could use to develop your AEPS. In this case, there’s basically three years of full drainage events.”

Because of limited data and a changing environment, there is a lot of uncertainty in these estimates, so engineers are planning for the worst-case scenario.

According to officials, Suicide Basin is expanding. This is because the glacier is melting and retreating, which opens up more space for water to collect. Ice is breaking off (calving), melting, and adding to the lake, so overall the basin can hold more water than it used to. On the other side, the spillway,, the pathway where water drains out beneath or around the glacier, is also changing. As the glacier thins and melts, the outlet is getting lower, which can allow water to start draining sooner.

Cubic-feet-per-second or CFS, is the rate at which water flows. Last year’s flood reached about 50,000 CFS. Officials said work aims to reach a 63,500 CFS flood scenario threshold by mid-July.

Assembly Member Nano Brooks asked Records about the service life of the HESCO barriers, to which Records responded, “They have a warranty of five years. I think that’s primarily for fabric degradation. Of course, those parts can be replaced, but that is kind of the maximum expectation without significant ongoing maintenance.”

Three options were presented for the coming season: the status-quo-plus build, upgrades to protect to 63,500 CFS (the staff recommendation), or a larger, more costly build to protect to 90,000 CFS. According to officials, that type of flood has an 18% chance of occurring in the next 10 years. 

Officials said the 63,500-CFS option would leave an estimated $3 million funding gap and the 90,000-CFS option about $8 million short of current funding. 

The city is pursuing State Revolving Fund assistance that would forgive half the loan and could cover much of the cost if approved.

Ultimately The City and Borough Assembly voted 7-2  to authorize work to reinforce and raise HESCO flood barriers to protect against a 63,500 CFS event ahead of the 2026 flood season .

An ordinance to formalize the appropriation is expected for introduction May 18.

Categories
Featured Juneau News juneau Juneau Local Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Sullivan, Juneau officials press Army Corps for long-term fix to Glacial Lake Outburst flooding

A drone image shows widespread flooding in the Mendenhall Valley on Tuesday morning. (Image courtesy of Rich Ross)
A drone image shows widespread flooding in the Mendenhall Valley. (Image courtesy of Rich Ross)

NOTN- Alaska’s congressional delegation and State and City officials are urging the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for clarity and action after the agency abruptly pulled back from the lake tap enduring solution, viewed as the leading option for protecting the Mendenhall Valley from glacial lake outburst flooding long term.

Juneau Sen. Jesse Kiehl said U.S. Sen. Dan Sullivan used all of his allotted time, and asked for more, during a U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee hearing last Wednesday to question Army Corps leaders about their lack of clear plans for a permanent solution.

“One of our U.S. senators could have spent time on a lot of Alaska issues, and he spent every minute he had on Juneau’s issue, and I appreciate that kind of work,” Kiehl said.

The Army Corps recently informed local officials it is pivoting away from advancing the lake tap as the identified long-term fix for the glacial lake outburst flooding that has repeatedly damaged homes and infrastructure along the Mendenhall River.

Instead, Corps officials emphasized “robust flood fighting”, emergency-response measures such as HESCO Barriers, while expressing continued, but less defined, interest in long-term mitigation.

City Manager Katie Koester said in a published update, “I want to acknowledge the weight of that update as it threatens the longevity of our entire community. Many of us have invested years of effort, advocacy, and hope into advancing a long-term solution.”

Koester said she is “deeply concerned that all planning and design efforts have been diverted to flood fighting,” leaving uncertainty around an enduring solution.

Since learning of the Corps’ change in direction, Koester said Juneau officials have been in active talks with Alaska’s federal delegation and senior Army leaders.

She met with staff from Sullivan’s office and with Lee Forsgren, the assistant secretary of the Army for civil works, who she said reaffirmed “his commitment to an enduring solution for Juneau,” though it remains unclear what that will be.

Koester said she has also met with staff for U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski.

“I want to emphasize that our delegation remains dedicated advocates for this project and for Juneau. Their engagement has been evidence of that.” Koester wrote.

During Wednesday’s Senate hearing, Sullivan pressed Army officials about the Corps’ reversal, the urgency of the threat and the need for both interim protections and a permanent fix. Senior officials reiterated a commitment to work toward a “durable solution” and agreed to travel to Juneau this spring.

“That visit will be an important opportunity to demonstrate the unique and imminent threat facing our community and to press for clarity on the path forward.” said Koester.

Koester stressed that Juneau is not waiting for federal decisions. The city has submitted a $8 million Congressionally Directed Spending request to fund geotechnical and planning work for the lake tap approach, which she described as the most cost-effective, fastest to implement and least disruptive option for reducing flood risk across the valley.

Kiehl said the Army Corps is “absolutely feeling the need and the pressure from our delegation in Washington, D.C.” but added that locals will keep pressing until a clear long-term plan is back on the table.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

View Drive residents asked to gauge interest in federal buyout program

This drone image provided by the City and Borough of Juneau shows flooding from a release of water and snowmelt at Mendenhall Glacier covered some roads and threatened homes along the Mendenhall River in Juneau, Alaska on Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2025. (City and Borough of Juneau via AP)

NOTN- City leaders are asking View Drive homeowners, the area hit hardest by glacial lake outburst flooding, to weigh in on whether they want to pursue a voluntary federal buyout program.

The City and Borough of Juneau is gauging interest in a potential buyout through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service Emergency Watershed Protection program, (NRCS) which helps communities recover from natural disasters by purchasing at-risk properties and restoring the land.

Under the program, eligible properties would be acquired at fair market value, followed by environmental review, demolition and site restoration. NRCS would cover 75% of total project costs, but Juneau would be responsible for the remaining 25%.

The non-federal match is estimated at about $6 million if all 18 eligible structures on View Drive take part.

City Manager Katie Koester said the city wants to know whether homeowners would be willing to help assemble that non- federal match, either through their own resources or with help from nonprofits and other non-federal sources, asking owners through an informal ballot, to indicate whether they would be willing to participate if that cost share were required, though responses are not binding.

“The Assembly really hasn’t received any official communication from View Drive residents on whether or not they are even interested in participating in the program,” Koester said. “The first important step is sending them an informal ballot to gauge actual interest in participating.”

View Drive is considered one of the neighborhoods most vulnerable to annual flooding caused by glacial lake outburst floods, as it sits just outside the reach of the HESCO barriers.

Juneau officials have discussed buyouts as one possible option for residents, particularly as flooding frequency and severity increase, though Koester stressed that whether or not the city goes through with the buy-out program, officials are still committed to an enduring solution.

“I just want to make sure that the public knows that it is the number one priority for the City of Juneau, to find a permanent solution to the flooding, not just for View Drive, but for the entire valley.” She said.

Koester said the Assembly is seeking to understand whether enough property owners would participate to justify moving forward.

Participation in the program would be entirely voluntary, and Koester emphasized that not every property owner would need to opt in for the project to move forward.

“‘It’s totally feasible that four people want to participate, and we move forward, and the rest of the neighborhood does not participate.”

Property owners have until Feb. 16 to return their ballots to the city’s engineering division, those results from residents are expected to be presented at the assembly’s Committee of the Whole meeting on Feb. 23.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

CBJ, Tlingit & Haida, USFS align on ‘Lake Tap’ as an enduring solution for glacial lake outburst flooding

This drone image provided by the City and Borough of Juneau shows flooding from a release of water and snowmelt at Mendenhall Glacier covered some roads and threatened homes along the Mendenhall River in Juneau, Alaska on Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2025. (City and Borough of Juneau via AP)

CBJ- Representatives from the City and Borough of Juneau (CBJ), Tlingit & Haida (T&H), and the USDA Forest Service (USFS) this week joined the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) and technical experts from relevant agencies to review and evaluate enduring flood-control alternatives for the Glacial Lake Outburst Flooding in the Mendenhall Valley. 

Following three days of technical analysis of the safety, feasibility, constructability, cost and timeline of the five proposed alternatives, T&H, CBJ and USFS united on their shared support for the Lake Tap alternative.

All three agencies encourage USACE to move forward with this option as the focus of the Technical Report.“From the perspective of safety and protection of the community, construction timeline and impact to the area, a lake tap option quickly rose to the top as an enduring solution,” explains Denise Koch, CBJ Director of Engineering & Public Works. “We greatly appreciate the recognition of urgency by the USACE and the contributions of the dozens of technical experts convened to tackle this ongoing threat to our community on accelerated timeline.”

The five alternatives reviewed over the three-day charrette included flood-control dam(s), levees or floodwalls, Suicide Basin lake tap, relocation, and a hybrid option. Experts from USACE and their partners presented a high level of technical data and risk analysis; however, there was wide acknowledgement that future geotechnical studies would be central to the implementation of any solution. Participants also reviewed the public input provided via the 30-day public comment period in November 2025.

“Tlingit & Haida went into this week with the purpose of reviewing all options with a single priority: identify an approach that best safeguards citizens, protects cultural resources, and supports the wellbeing of the broader Juneau community,” said Tlingit & Haida Public Safety Manager Sabrina Grubritz. “The lake tap option appears to best meet those goals with the data currently available.”

Tlingit & Haida and CBJ are the community partners for this critical USACE report. As the impacted land manager, the USFS will also play important role in an enduring solution.

The purpose of the charrette was to determine the focus for the USACE technical report, which will inform the next steps in pursuing an enduring solution to the annual glacial lake outburst flooding (GLOF) events in the Mendenhall Valley. USACE plans to release the technical report in May 2026, with a public comment period to follow. While the completion of a technical report is an important step, it does not guarantee funding for a project construction.  CBJ, Tlingit & Haida and USFS are committed to their joint pursuit of a completed solution as quickly as possible.

“Time is of the essence,” emphasized Koch. “It is going to take close collaboration across government agencies at all levels to get us to an enduring solution. We truly value our strong partnership with Tlingit & Haida, the U.S. Forest Service and USACE, as well as the ongoing advocacy and involvement of our residents and representatives.”

Information regarding the USACE Mendenhall Glacial Lake Outburst Flooding Technical Report is available at the project website.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Army Corps of Engineers to pay for phase 2 HESCO barriers, helping to find enduring solution

NOTN- The City and Borough of Juneau formally accepted Advance Measures Assistance from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, to begin Phase 2 of the temporary flood barrier project along the Mendenhall River, city officials announced Thursday.

This marks the next major step in the city’s ongoing effort to protect homes and infrastructure from recurring glacial outburst floods or GLOFs originating from Suicide Basin.

“The Army Corp has committed to helping, really, really substantially with phase two of our short-term mitigation efforts.” Said Deputy City Manager Robert Barr, “And also, to really pursue a quite ambitious timeline for an enduring solution, solutions that would mitigate GLOFS, in such a way that we won’t be seeing these massive 15, 16 plus flood events. So thats really, really good news.”

The Army Corps will provide 100% federally funded assistance to install new riverbank armoring and temporary flood barriers along unprotected sections of the Mendenhall River. The agency will also offer technical support and repairs to the existing flood barrier system completed earlier this year under Phase 1.

“The Phase 2 project is almost three times the size of the first,” said Mayor Beth Weldon.

Construction could begin as early as next spring, Weldon said.

Thursday night’s briefing also featured presentations from scientists and engineers with the University of Alaska Southeast and the National Weather Service.

“The science presentations we received from the university and the weather service were just phenomenal. They’ve been such impressive partners and so important in this work.” Said Barr, “It’s hard to imagine where we would be were it not for the work, it’s really guided and advised us and everyone that’s been working in emergency response and policy management. So really huge kudos to the university and the geological service and the weather service.”

The Army Corps, and the Natural Resources Conservation Service also presented. The NRCS discussed its Emergency Watershed Protection Program, which could provide funding for potential buyouts of flood-prone properties on View Drive.

Phase 2 of the temporary flood barrier would extend protection to remaining populated areas along the river not covered in the first phase.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Mendenhall River crests at a record 16.65 Ft

The Mendenhall River reached its peak crest at 16.65 feet around 7:15 a.m. this morning, according to the National Weather Service.

Sean, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, confirmed that water levels are expected to gradually recede throughout the day.

“We’ve determined that a crest occurred of around 16.65 feet, around 710, 7:15, this morning.” Said Sean, “From that point though, it will still take
15 to 45 minutes for areas further downstream to also observe this crest in river.”

No additional rainfall is forecast for Juneau through Friday, which should help stabilize river conditions.

“We will see water levels continue to drop, so through today and tomorrow, and even into Friday, we are not having any additional rainfall, so there should be no extra input into the basin.”