Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Army Corps of Engineers to pay for phase 2 HESCO barriers, helping to find enduring solution

NOTN- The City and Borough of Juneau formally accepted Advance Measures Assistance from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, to begin Phase 2 of the temporary flood barrier project along the Mendenhall River, city officials announced Thursday.

This marks the next major step in the city’s ongoing effort to protect homes and infrastructure from recurring glacial outburst floods or GLOFs originating from Suicide Basin.

“The Army Corp has committed to helping, really, really substantially with phase two of our short-term mitigation efforts.” Said Deputy City Manager Robert Barr, “And also, to really pursue a quite ambitious timeline for an enduring solution, solutions that would mitigate GLOFS, in such a way that we won’t be seeing these massive 15, 16 plus flood events. So thats really, really good news.”

The Army Corps will provide 100% federally funded assistance to install new riverbank armoring and temporary flood barriers along unprotected sections of the Mendenhall River. The agency will also offer technical support and repairs to the existing flood barrier system completed earlier this year under Phase 1.

“The Phase 2 project is almost three times the size of the first,” said Mayor Beth Weldon.

Construction could begin as early as next spring, Weldon said.

Thursday night’s briefing also featured presentations from scientists and engineers with the University of Alaska Southeast and the National Weather Service.

“The science presentations we received from the university and the weather service were just phenomenal. They’ve been such impressive partners and so important in this work.” Said Barr, “It’s hard to imagine where we would be were it not for the work, it’s really guided and advised us and everyone that’s been working in emergency response and policy management. So really huge kudos to the university and the geological service and the weather service.”

The Army Corps, and the Natural Resources Conservation Service also presented. The NRCS discussed its Emergency Watershed Protection Program, which could provide funding for potential buyouts of flood-prone properties on View Drive.

Phase 2 of the temporary flood barrier would extend protection to remaining populated areas along the river not covered in the first phase.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local Music News Feeds Sitka Local

Juneau redirects $5 million to repair flood barriers, weighs long-term protection after August glacier outburst

This drone image provided by the City and Borough of Juneau shows flooding from a release of water and snowmelt at Mendenhall Glacier covered some roads and threatened homes along the Mendenhall River in Juneau, Alaska on Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2025. (City and Borough of Juneau via AP)

NOTN- Juneau officials say repairing damaged flood barriers and planning for long-term protection along the Mendenhall River will be a top priority in the wake of August’s glacier outburst flood.

At a Monday night work session, the Assembly said that Phase One of the HESCO barrier project, temporary flood walls installed to protect neighborhoods, sustained an estimated $1 million in damage.

“We are still gathering a lot of information on what happened this year, so folks are looking at, how did the basin change? How did the river change? So we still need a lot of information from our scientists before we’re ready to make any decisions.” Said Christine Woll head of the Finance Committee, “Essentially, last night, we started talking abou are we going to extend the barriers? Last year, we prioritized protecting the areas that had flooded in 2024, but as we think about the potential for this flood to increase in size, we start thinking about, do we want to extend the barriers to essentially the rest of the river? What’s the cost for that going to be and how are we going to pay for it? It starts to get kind of increasingly more expensive for the other areas of the river just because they’re trickier, and those areas are less likely to flood. So it makes for interesting policy decisions about how much the city can afford.”

The Assembly discussed whether to build barriers to a 17-foot or 18-foot model, this carries implications for construction depth, bank armoring, and overall cost. Expanding protection both north and south of the current installation could require substantial outside funding.

Members also considered long-term options for the View Drive neighborhood, where flood protection is difficult to build.

“There’s lots of challenges, but one of them is definitely View Drive, which meets the criteria of being significantly impacted every year by this flood, and yet, you know, has engineering challenges to put HESCOs up” said Woll.

Deputy City Manager Robert Barr said a potential buyout program could be pursued, but cost is the leading question.

“There’s some unanswered questions there that we need to resolve. Specifically, how much is going to cost and how many of the folks in the View Drive area need to participate for that to be a program that the federal government will participate in.” Barr said.

Last nights meeting was a Work Session however the Assembly took one actionable step, voting unanimously to shift $5 million from the Capital Civic Center project into flood mitigation. That money will help repair existing HESCO barriers and support the next phases of protection planning.

“These are decisions we’re going to have to tackle in the coming months,” he said. “We’ll keep looking for federal and state help, but ultimately we have to prepare for what may come next summer.”

The August flood, caused by an outburst from Suicide Basin above the Mendenhall Glacier, inundated neighborhoods and left behind millions in property damage.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Man missing after falling into ice hole on Mendenhall Glacier

NOTN- An Italian man is missing after falling into a rushing stream on Mendenhall Glacier and being swept into a narrow opening in the ice, authorities said.

Alaska Wildlife Troopers said they received a report around 1:45 p.m. Tuesday that the man had slipped into the water and disappeared into a roughly 2-foot-wide vertical hole. The two people traveling with him told officials they could no longer see him once he fell inside.

Juneau Mountain Rescue deployed a technical ice rescue team, which determined the hole was filled with fast-moving water and too dangerous to search.

Authorities said efforts are ongoing to notify the man’s next of kin in Italy.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Residents in Juneau prepare for possible glacial flooding

The Mendenhall Glacier. (Photo by Becky Bohrer.AP)

By Mark Thiessen, Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Residents and officials in Alaska’s capital city prepared Friday for the possibility of glacial flooding that in past years has swept away houses, swamped several hundred homes and eroded the river fed by the popular Mendenhall Glacier.

The state, federal, city and tribal officials who would run an incident command center during any flooding held a briefing to outline steps and to issue pleas to the public to be prepared.

The threat of so-called glacier outburst flooding has become an annual concern in parts of Juneau since 2011. The Mendenhall Glacier — a thinning, retreating glacier that is a major tourist attraction in southeast Alaska — acts as a dam for a basin that fills each spring and summer with rainwater and snowmelt.

The basin itself was left behind when a smaller, nearby glacier retreated.

When the water in the basin creates enough pressure, it forces its way under or around the ice dam created by the Mendenhall Glacier, entering Mendenhall Lake and eventually the Mendenhall River.

The water level in the basin as of Friday stood at 1,353 feet and continues to rise, said Nicole Ferrin with the National Weather Service. It’s just 15 feet from topping the ice dam.

Flash floods like the one that swept through Texas are 

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local News Feeds

CBJ, Tlingit & Haida issue coordinated disaster declarations ahead of 2025 glacial lake outburst

A drone image shows widespread flooding in the Mendenhall Valley on Tuesday morning. (Image courtesy of Rich Ross)
A drone image shows widespread flooding in the Mendenhall Valley.
(Image courtesy of Rich Ross)

JUNEAU – The City and Borough of Juneau and the Central Council of the Tlingit & Haida Tribes of Alaska have issued coordinated emergency disaster declarations ahead of a potentially historic glacial lake outburst flood from Suicide Basin near the Mendenhall Glacier.

Hydrologic data shows the water level could exceed past records, prompting proactive action to protect lives, property, and infrastructure. Officials say while flood barriers are in place, no risks will be taken.

Tlingit & Haida Vice President Jackie Pata says this step ensures “every tool is in place before the water rises,” following last year’s devastating flood.

The declarations allow emergency teams to mobilize now, activate equipment, establish permitting, and to provide public alerts. City Manager Katie Koester says this year, “We’re not just responding, we’re ready.”

Residents are urged to stay informed and prepared for possible evacuation. Visit JuneauFlood.com or the CBJ website for updates and resources.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Juneau officials will host public meeting on Mendenhall flood study and preparedness tonight

Image from last years glacial lake outburst flood

Representatives from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Alaska District and the City and Borough of Juneau (CBJ) will host a public information session today on a technical study aimed at reducing flood risk in the Mendenhall Valley.

The event is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. Alaska Standard Time at Thunder Mountain Middle School. USACE officials will present the latest findings from an ongoing $4.75 million federally funded study of glacial lake outburst floods before holding a question-and-answer session.

The study is focused on assessing hydrology, hydraulics, geology and economic conditions to determine potential long-term solutions for mitigating flooding in the valley, one of Juneau’s most densely populated areas.

Representatives from CBJ, Tlingit & Haida, the National Weather Service, the American Red Cross and the University of Alaska Southeast will also provide information and flood preparedness resources.

As Juneau enters its glacial lake outburst flood season, CBJ officials urged residents to sign up for the city’s emergency alert system at bit.ly/CBJAlerts

Officials outlined the city’s “Ready, Set, Go” alert process:

  • READY: (We are here.) The best way to stay informed with the latest flood preparedness tips, news and updates is by signing up for CBJ Emergency Alerts
  • SET: Once the US National Weather Service Juneau Alaska determines the Basin is full, CBJ and our partners will issue evacuation advisories via SMS text (push notification, no opt-in required). Alerts with evacuation instructions will also go out via email, social media, website and printed door hangars in the forecasted flood area. A flood information hotline will be available
  • GO: once the Basin begins to release, a FLOOD WARNING will be issued by the National Weather Service. CBJ, Tlingit & Haida, Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities and partner agencies will push out evacuation advisories through all available channels
  • ALL CLEAR: Once floodwaters recede and the area is deemed safe, CBJ will issue an “All Clear” message.