Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Trump administration blocked from cutting off SNAP benefits as two judges issue orders

By: Jacob Fischler and Ariana Figueroa, States Newsroom

A federal judge in Boston ruled Friday that the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s plan to pause a food assistance program for 42 million people was illegal — but gave the Trump administration until Monday to respond to her finding before she decides on a motion to force the benefits be paid despite the ongoing government shutdown.

At nearly the same time Friday, a Rhode Island federal judge in a similar case brought by cities and nonprofit groups ordered USDA to continue payments and granted a request for a temporary restraining order.

In Massachusetts, in a Friday afternoon order, District Court of Massachusetts Judge Indira Talwani said she would continue to take “under advisement” a coalition of Democratic states’ request to force the release of funds from a contingency account holding about $6 billion.

Her ruling came a day before a cutoff of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, benefits to low-income households.

Because Congress is locked in a stalemate over a stopgap spending bill and did not appropriate money for the fiscal year that began Oct. 1, administration officials say the program cannot provide federal funds beginning Saturday. In states, SNAP benefits are loaded onto cards on varying dates, but the cutoff would be effective for November benefits.

Talwani, who was appointed by former President Barack Obama, called the administration’s conclusion it can’t provide SNAP funding “erroneous,” and said the reserve fund was sufficient for SNAP benefits to flow to states and the vendors that add money to debit-like cards issued to the program’s beneficiaries that are used to purchase groceries. 

The law creating the program mandated that benefits continue, she said.

“Defendants are statutorily mandated to use the previously appropriated SNAP contingency reserve when necessary and also have discretion to use other previously appropriated funds,” Talwani wrote.

Talwani ordered the administration to say by Monday whether it would provide at least partial benefits for November.

The 25 states that sued were Massachusetts, California, Arizona, Minnesota, Connecticut, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state, Wisconsin Kansas, Kentucky and Pennsylvania. The District of Columbia also sued. 

In Rhode Island, where the judge granted a temporary restraining order, the advocacy group Democracy Forward, which was among those bringing the suit, praised the move.

“A federal court today granted a temporary restraining order blocking the Trump-Vance administration’s unlawful effort to halt the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) during the ongoing government shutdown,” the group said.  “The decision ensures that millions of children, seniors, veterans, and families will continue to receive essential food assistance while the case proceeds.”

The judge in that case, John James McConnell Jr., said the administration’s actions violated a key federal administrative law against arbitrary and capricious executive action and federal spending laws “by disregarding Congress’s direction that SNAP must continue operating,” Democracy Forward said.

McConnell also was appointed by Obama.

Shauneen Miranda contributed to this report.

This is a developing report and will be updated.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Another bust year for Yukon River king salmon returns, sonar counters show

By: James Brooks, Alaska Beacon

 Whole troll-caught king salmon offered for sale is seen on June 23 at New Sagaya Market in Anchorage. (Photo by Yereth Rosen/Alaska Beacon)

Last year, Alaska and Canada set a new, lower goal for the number of king salmon returning up the Yukon River and into Canada’s Yukon Territory. 

Now, fish counters show 2025 returns have again failed to meet that lower target after missing in 2024 as well.

Through Aug. 28, when officials at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game stopped counting, an estimated 23,806 Chinook salmon — informally known as kings — had been counted by workers at the sonar site at Eagle, just west of the Yukon border.

Under international agreements, the United States is supposed to allow a minimum number of fish to travel upriver and into the Yukon to maintain the king salmon run and allow fishing in the territory.

Last year, following years of poor returns, officials in Alaska and Canada agreed to restrict king salmon fishing, including Indigenous subsistence fishing, of king salmon on the river until escapement — the number of king salmon crossing into Canada — exceeds 42,500 fish.

The ultimate goal of the agreement is to rebuild the number of king salmon returning until 71,000 kings reach Canada each summer. 

This year’s figures are slightly lower than they were last year, when 24,183 kings reached Canada, but are nearly double the low of 2022, when only an estimated 12,025 kings returned.

King salmon returns on the Yukon River have steadily declined since 2017, when 73,313 fish passed the sonar at Eagle. 

Attention now falls on the Yukon River’s much larger chum salmon run, which is also expected to fail international treaty obligations. As of Sept. 7, ADF&G estimates 276,000 fall chums in the Yukon River, less than a third of the historical run size.

“A run size below 300,000 fall chum salmon is not anticipated to be large enough to meet U.S. tributary goals or Canadian treaty objectives for fall chum salmon,” the department said in an estimate published Tuesday.

As a result of the shortfall, subsistence fishing for chum salmon, a vital part of Alaska Native traditional culture, continues to be suspended. 

Changes in deep-ocean conditions caused by climate change, warming river conditions caused by climate change, commercial fishing, and endemic disease have all been cited as possible reasons for the declining salmon runs.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Alaska officials impose statewide ban on two kinds of invasive berry-producing trees

By: Yereth Rosen, Alaska Beacon

Tricia Howe, a volunteer working at the Aug. 19, 2023, “weed smackdown” at Anchorage’s Tikishla Park, pulls another felled European bird cherry tree to put on a pile near the park’s softball field. European bird cherry trees, also known as chokecherry trees, are invasive plants that were once popular ornamentals in Anchorage and elsewhere but have since spread into wooded areas. (Photo by Yereth Rosen/Alaska Beacon)
showy and fragrant white flowers, seen in this undated photo. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)
 The invasive Prunus tree species have showy and fragrant white flowers, seen in this undated photo. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)

State officials have barred the import, transport and sale of two fast-growing invasive species that were once popular garden ornamentals but have now wreaked havoc on natural vegetation.

The Alaska Division of Agriculture on Friday said it issued a quarantine for the two species: Prunus padus, commonly known as the European bird cherry tree or mayday tree, and Prunus virginiana, commonly known as the Canada red or chokecherry tree.

An invasive Prunus tree sprouts from a fallen branch in Anchorage. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)
 An invasive Prunus tree sprouts from a fallen branch in Anchorage. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)

The order went into effect Monday.

In essence, it will extend through the state a ban that was imposed in 2017 in Anchorage. The trees have become a particular nuisance in Alaska’s largest city, where they have proliferated in greenbelts and other spaces and crowded out native species like birch and spruce.

State and local officials have been trying to remove these non-native trees, and the new policy should help that effort, said Division of Agriculture Director Bryan Scoresby.

“This quarantine prohibits the importation, transport, and sale within the state of these two trees and their parts,” Scoresby said in a statement. “Many agencies continue to pursue control measures with the goal of eliminating these invasive trees. With this quarantine, the flow of trees into Alaska will stop, making this goal more attainable.”

Invasive Prunus trees bloom along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage in this undated photo. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)
 Invasive Prunus trees bloom along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage in this undated photo. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)

The ornamentals quickly spread, displacing native vegetation, impeding animals’ access and upsetting natural food webs, according to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Cooperative Extension Service.

Their berries can be toxic to moose, causing cyanide poisoning that is sometimes fatal.

Along with those problems, the invasives might be spreading disease to other trees, according to the Division of Agriculture. A fungal disease called “Black Knot” was recently discovered on chokecherry trees on the University of Alaska Anchorage campus, making the invasive trees potential disease spreaders, the division said.

The two tree species are prime targets of annual Anchorage “weed smackdown” invasive-removal events. There is also a concerted effort to remove the trees from Fairbanks, including on the UAF campus, where officials have been methodically replacing them with native trees.

Eradicating the trees might require more than simply cutting them down because new trees can grow out of root systems below stumps, according to the Cooperative Extension Service.

For all the damage the two invasive tree species cause in Alaska, however, some people have found ways to benefit from them. The toxin in their berries can be neutralized and eaten by people.

Seedlings of invasive Prunus trees cover a forest floor by a bike trail. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)
 Seedlings of invasive Prunus trees cover a forest floor by a bike trail. (Photo provided by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources)