Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Juneau man arrested after package containing fentanyl was taken to local business

NOTN- A 50-year-old Juneau man was arrested this week after investigators intercepted a package containing more than 200 grams of fentanyl that was shipped to the capital city, according to a press release by the Southeast Alaska Cities Against Drugs (SEACAD) task force.

Investigators identified the suspicious package on October 12 and determined it contained about 219 grams of fentanyl, SEACAD said. The next day, the package was delivered to Joshua R. Riley, who allegedly took it to All-Star Auto, a business in the 900 block of West 10th Street.

Officers executed a search warrant after he opened the package. In addition to the fentanyl, SEACAD agents said they seized other drugs, including 10.12 grams of heroin, 8.2 grams of psilocybin mushrooms, 4.89 grams of methamphetamine, and another 0.66 grams of fentanyl in a separate package. A digital scale was also found.

Riley was arrested and taken to Lemon Creek Correctional Center on federal charges of Attempted Possession with Intent to Deliver and Conspiracy to Distribute Controlled Substances.

The seized narcotics have an estimated combined street value of about $111,000, SEACAD said.

SEACAD, Southeast Alaska Cities Against Drugs, is a regional task force comprised of municipal police departments from Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Haines, Skagway, Petersburg, Hoonah, Wrangell, Craig, and Yakutat, the Alaska State Troopers, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, United States Postal Inspection Service, and Coast Guard Investigative Service. Together, they work to investigate drug importation and distribution in the Southeast Alaska region.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Sullivan votes in support of killing suspected drug smugglers without trial; Murkowski opposed

By: James Brooks, Alaska Beacon

Alaska Republican U.S. Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan (Alaska Beacon file photos)

Alaska’s two U.S. senators are split on whether or not it is appropriate for the U.S. military to kill suspected drug smugglers without trial or a declaration of war.

On Tuesday, the federal government said it had killed another six people aboard a boat in international waters of the Caribbean Sea, with President Trump claiming on social media that they were drug smugglers.

Since Sept. 2, the U.S. military has killed 27 people in the Caribbean Sea without a declaration of war or criminal trial, according to statistics kept by the New York Times. 

In each case, the federal government has asserted without evidence that all the people killed aboard the boats were smuggling drugs.

Last week, Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, voted to have the Senate vote on a resolution that would have ended the Caribbean Sea bombings unless approved by Congress.

Sixty votes were needed to call a vote. Only 48 senators — all Democrats, plus Murkowski and Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky — voted in favor of bringing the issue to a vote. 

“While I commend the administration’s concerted efforts to address the devastation of drug trafficking on communities across the country, I do not believe the information I have received justifies this interpretation of the President’s Article II powers,” Murkowski said, referring to the section of the Constitution that names the president the commander in chief of the military.

“I take very seriously my Article I responsibility when it comes to Congress’s power to declare war. I don’t think that full information on the legal and factual justification for armed attacks on suspected drug traffickers is too much to ask,” Murkowski said.

Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, joined the rest of the Senate’s Republicans and Democratic Sen. John Fetterman of Pennsylvania in voting to support the bombings.

Afterward, he offered a written statement explaining his vote.

“Days ago, I was briefed by Secretary of State Rubio on Venezuelan narcoterrorist cartels flooding our country with deadly drugs. Nicolás Maduro — the illegitimate leader of Venezuela and a criminal indicted by U.S. prosecutors — refuses to cooperate with the U.S. and is clearly aiding these vicious drug traffickers who are responsible for killing tens of thousands of Americans. President Trump’s lawful strikes against these cartels are saving lives and, importantly, establishing deterrence. Under Article II, he has the authority to defend our homeland, just as President George H.W. Bush did when he ordered the invasion of Panama in 1989 to remove the drug-trafficking dictator Manuel Noriega,” the statement said.

“Senate Democrats’ resolution was another attempt to restrict the President’s ability to act — emboldening cartels and putting American lives at risk. These senators would never tolerate ISIS or al-Qaeda operating freely near our shores: eliminating a terrorist organization like Tren de Aragua that is literally killing thousands of Americans is no different. More Americans have died from drug overdoses in the past seven years than in both World Wars and the Vietnam War combined. Alaskans know this devastation firsthand, as poisons like fentanyl tear apart families in our cities and Alaska Native villages. Eliminating these cartels before they reach our shores protects our county and sends a strong message of deterrence.”

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Final two defendants plead guilty in major Alaska drug trafficking conspiracy

NOTN- The last two defendants in a six-person drug trafficking conspiracy pleaded guilty last week to charges stemming from a multi-state operation that funneled fentanyl and heroin into Alaska, federal prosecutors said..

According to court documents, Semaj Brown, 34, and Brandon Garrett, 46, both of Anchorage, pleaded guilty to conspiring with Julio Juarez, 32, of Anchorage, Marcelino Juarez, 30, of Anchorage, Shane Murphy, 43, of Wasilla, and Gustavo Sebastian Lopez-Chavez, 24, a Mexican national illegally residing in the U.S., to purchase fentanyl and heroin in California and transport the substances to Alaska through the mail or in checked airline baggage.

According to officials, the group trafficked at least 36 kilograms of fentanyl and about 10 kilograms of heroin.

The investigation culminated on Aug. 22, 2024, when U.S. Postal Inspection Service agents intercepted a suspicious parcel in Anchorage. A search warrant revealed more than two kilograms of fentanyl powder inside.

Days later, law enforcement conducted a controlled delivery, ultimately arresting Marcelino Juarez and Brown after observing them collect and transport the package. Garrett was detained in a separate vehicle nearby.

Authorities later linked Brown and Murphy to a July 2024 trip to Los Angeles, where they allegedly sourced additional fentanyl and heroin, including from Lopez-Chavez.

On July 6, airport security at Los Angeles International Airport seized a suitcase bound for Anchorage containing about one kilogram of heroin and two kilograms of fentanyl, when Murphy and Brown arrived in Alaska, they noted that the suitcase did not arrive.

Lopez-Chavez was arrested in Los Angeles on Nov. 14, 2024. At the time, he was carrying roughly 23 kilograms of fentanyl, along with cash and counterfeit immigration documents.

The Juarez brothers and Brown were identified as known gang members by the Stockton, California, Police Department.

All six defendants have now pleaded guilty. Marcelino and Julio Juarez entered pleas in July; Murphy pleaded guilty in April; Lopez-Chavez pleaded guilty in June; and Garrett was indicted in March before pleading last week.

The defendants are scheduled to be sentenced within the next three months. Marcelino Juarez, Brown, Murphy, Lopez-Chavez and Garrett face between 10 years to life in prison. Julio Juarez faces between 15 years to life in prison due to a prior conviction in California for attempted murder, for which he served 11 years in prison.

The case was investigated by the FBI Anchorage Field Office and the Alaska High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) task forces, with assistance from multiple agencies across Alaska and California.

U.S. Attorneys Tom Bradley, Jack Schmidt, and Bill Reed are prosecuting the case.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local Music News Feeds Sitka Local

Federal indictments, multiple arrests made in Juneau drug trafficking case

Seven people have been indicted and arrested in connection with a large-scale drug trafficking operation that funneled methamphetamine into Juneau from California, following a months-long investigation by state and federal law enforcement agencies, according to a press release by the Juneau Police Department.

Beginning in October 2024, Task Force Officers from the Alaska State Troopers’ Statewide Drug Enforcement Unit (SDEU) and Southeast Alaska Cities Against Drugs (SEACAD), working with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS), launched an investigation into a drug trafficking organization operating out of Juneau.

The initial investigation began when task force members obtained evidence that showed that 41-year-old Juneau residents Patrick Iler, and 39-year-old Juneau resident Erika Porter were involved with the distributing methamphetamine throughout Juneau. 46-year-old Juneau resident Timothy Miller was identified as a distributor of methamphetamine working with Iler and Porter in Juneau.

Over the course of the investigation, law enforcement seized a combined 1.32 kilograms of methamphetamine, with an estimated street value of $130,000.

Investigators traced one of the drug sources to Highland, California. In May 2025, Alaska-based task force officers traveled to California and arrested 67-year-old Kinarla Miles, who is accused of supplying methamphetamine to the Juneau network.

Three other Juneau residents, 51-year-old Jerome Larue, 38-year-old Travis Lind, and 60-year-old Edie Seslar, were also arrested as co-conspirators.

Authorities estimate the drug ring distributed approximately 7 kilograms of methamphetamine in total, with an approximate street value of $700,000.

In May 2025, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Anchorage indicted Miles, Larue, Lind, and Seslar on charges of drug conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, and possession with intent to distribute controlled substances.

In July 2025, additional indictments were filed against Miller, Porter, and Iler for drug conspiracy and possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine. Porter and Miller were arrested in Juneau on July 23 and 24 and booked into Lemon Creek Correctional Center on federal warrants.

The investigation is ongoing and involves coordination between the Alaska State Troopers, USPIS, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Anchorage.