Categories
Headline News

Trump visit gives Swinney golden opportunity to butter up president on Scotch whisky tariffs exemption

There had been much talk of the possibility of a frosty reception when the US president locked eyes with Scotland’s first minister.The Latest News from the UK and Around the World | Sky News

Categories
Headline News

Mile after mile of grey rubble – the view from a plane dropping aid to Gaza

We are on our way to Gaza with the Jordanian military.The Latest News from the UK and Around the World | Sky News

Categories
Headline News

Girl stabbed by ‘possessed’ Southport killer reveals how she survived

A girl who was stabbed in the Southport attack has told Sky News how she thought she was going to die that day.The Latest News from the UK and Around the World | Sky News

Categories
Headline News

Russian strike on Ukrainian prison kills 17 people and injures more than 80

A Russian airstrike on a prison in Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia region has killed at least 17 people and wounded more than 80 others.The Latest News from the UK and Around the World | Sky News

Categories
Headline News

Revealed: The scale of cheap Chinese imports flown into UK without paying any tariffs

The scale of cheap Chinese e-commerce imports flown into Britain without paying any tariffs has become clearer following a Sky News investigation into this new multi-billion pound phenomenon.The Latest News from the UK and Around the World | Sky News

Categories
Headline News

Gunman kills four including police officer at New York skyscraper – as suspect named

A gunman has killed four people including a police officer in a shooting at a New York skyscraper.The Latest News from the UK and Around the World | Sky News

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Gov. Dunleavy unveils education-focused agenda for August special session

Governor Mike Dunleavy speaks during a press conference on Thursday, April 17 in Juneau. (Photo by Greg Knight/NOTN)
Governor Mike Dunleavy speaks during a press conference on Thursday, April 17 in Juneau. (Photo by Greg Knight/NOTN)

NOTN- Gov. Mike Dunleavy on Monday released the full policy agenda for a special session of the Alaska Legislature, scheduled to begin Saturday, Aug. 2. The session, first announced earlier this month, will focus on a sweeping package of education reforms the Governor says are aimed at improving student outcomes and securing long-term funding for public schools.

“This is an opportunity to address Alaska’s performance issues and funding issues in K-12 education well into the future.” Dunleavy said in the press release. “By addressing this now, school districts, students, parents, teachers, and policymakers will have certainty and will not have to debate this issue during the regular session that begins in January,”

The Governor’s office outlined their key priorities for the session, those include

  • Executive order creating a Department of Agriculture
  • Tribal Compacting between the state Department of education and select tribes
  • Expansion of corporate tax credit program for education.
  • Authorize the Department of Education as a charter school authorizer in addition to local districts
  • Open enrollment allowing public school students to enroll in any public school that has room including outside of a student’s resident district.
  • Grants for reading improvement and for a new after school reading tutoring program
  • Recruitment retention payments to classroom teachers to reduce turnover
  •  Long-term certainty in funding for K-12 schools if agreement is reached on policy.

Education Commissioner Dr. Deena Bishop, a former teacher and superintendent, said the proposals are evidence-based and modeled after successful policies in other states.

Bill introductions are scheduled for the session’s opening day, with hearings requested to begin Sunday, Aug. 3.

However many lawmakers plan to override Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s decision to veto millions of dollars in public school funding from this year’s state operating budget.

according to the Alaska Beacon, It takes 45 votes to override an Alaska governor’s budget veto, and of the 46 legislators who voted this spring to override the governor’s veto of the education funding formula, all but a handful have committed to supporting a budget veto override as well.

That formula is subject to the state’s annual budget process, and Dunleavy chose to only partially fund it, causing a wave of cuts to services at public schools across the state. Dunleavy had said he would not agree to the full funding increase without the Legislature adopting other policies he’s proposed.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

US Education Department to unfreeze contested K-12 funds

By: Jennifer Shutt, States Newsroom

 The Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building in Washington, D.C., in a file photo from November 2024. (Photo by Shauneen Miranda/States Newsroom)

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Friday it’ll soon release billions in Education Department funding that has been frozen for weeks, delaying disbursements to K-12 schools throughout the country.

The funding — which goes toward migrant education, English-language learning and other programs — was supposed to go out before July 1, but the administration informed schools just one day before that it was instead holding onto $6.8 billion while staff conducted a review. Members of both parties in Congress objected to the move.

The Education Department released $1.3 billion for before- and after-school programs as well as summer programs in mid-July, but the rest of the funding remained stalled.

Madi Biedermann, a Department of Education spokesperson, wrote in an email to States Newsroom that the White House budget office “has completed its review” of the remaining accounts and “has directed the Department to release all formula funds.”

The administration will begin sending that money to school districts next week, Biedermann wrote.

Appropriators cheer

Maine Republican Sen. Susan Collins, chairwoman of the Appropriations Committee, wrote in a statement the “funds are essential to the operation of Maine’s public schools, supporting everything from classroom instruction to adult education.”

“I am pleased that following outreach from my colleagues and me, the Administration has agreed to release these highly-anticipated resources,” Collins wrote. “I will continue working to ensure that education funds are delivered without delay so that schools have adequate time to plan their finances for the upcoming school year, allowing students to arrive back to class this fall to properly-funded schools.”

Collins and nine other Republican senators wrote a letter to Office of Management and Budget Director Russ Vought earlier this month asking him to “faithfully implement” the spending law Congress approved in March.

“The decision to withhold this funding is contrary to President (Donald) Trump’s goal of returning K-12 education to the states,” the GOP senators wrote. “This funding goes directly to states and local school districts, where local leaders decide how this funding is spent, because as we know, local communities know how to best serve students and families.

“Withholding this funding denies states and communities the opportunity to pursue localized initiatives to support students and their families.”

West Virginia Republican Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, chairwoman of the appropriations subcommittee that funds the Education Department, wrote in a statement released Friday she was glad to see the funding unfrozen.

“The programs are ones that enjoy longstanding, bipartisan support like after-school and summer programs that provide learning and enrichment opportunities for school aged children, which also enables their parents to work and contribute to local economies, and programs to support adult learners working to gain employment skills, earn workforce certifications, or transition into postsecondary education,” Capito wrote. “That’s why it’s important we continue to protect and support these programs.”

Categories
Entertainment

Hannah Brown MARRIES Adam Woolard! Get All the Details!

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Close your eyes and listen closely, residents of Bachelor Nation?

Do you hear them? Off in the distance?

Yup. Wedding bells rang this weekend for Hannah Brown!

According to People Magazine, the former Bachelorette lead married boyfriend Adam Woolard on July 26 in a ceremony attended by 101 guests — in France!

Hannah Brown attends The Little Market’s International Women’s Day Luncheon on March 8, 2022 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

“We wanted something really timeless and classic, and really just the celebration of our love with our friends and family,” Brown explained to this same outlet shortly after exchanging vows.

The publication reported that Brown walked down the aisle in a strapless Mark Ingram ballgown, which she paired with Jimmy Choo pumps and a long veil by Mira Zwillinger.

Brown, for her part, has had quite the journey (often in front of a televised audience) to arrive at this romantic place in her life.

Hannah Brown attends the 2023 People’s Choice Country Awards at The Grand Ole Opry on September 28, 2023 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Terry Wyatt/Getty Images)

She made her small screen debut on Colton Underwood’sseason of The Bachelor in 2019.

Later that year, she named the lead of season 15 of The Bachelorette.

From there, Brown was briefly engaged to her final rose recipient, Jed Wyatt, although the two broke up after filming ended amid allegations he was dating another woman during his time on the show. Not cool.

(Hannah dumped Wyatt in a phone call ahead of ABC’s After the Final Rose special.)

Brown moved on with Woolard in January 2021 after the couple met on a dating app and then they got engaged last August.

Hannah Brown attends the 2023 People’s Choice Country Awards at The Grand Ole Opry on September 28, 2023 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Terry Wyatt/Getty Images)

“I always knew I wanted to take up space on my wedding day because there’s so many times in life, especially as women, that we feel like we need to be smaller,” Brown also told People.

“On my wedding day, I didn’t want to feel that at all. I feel like a princess, and I feel like that’s exactly how you should feel on your wedding day.”

Hannah said her makeup was done by Trace Watkins and nails were by Nashville Nail Co.

She walked down the aisle to “Gratitude” by Brandon Lake, while Heather Martin — who starred alongside Brown on season 23 of The Bachelor — served as a bridesmaid.

Hannah Brown attends the 21st Annual Warner Bros. And InStyle Golden Globe After Party at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on January 5, 2020 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Amy Sussman/Getty Images)

Woolard is the vice president of business development and health coach at Blokes Men’s Health and Joi Women’s Health.

The newlyweds will travel to Croatia for their honeymoon.

“I have always had a very clear picture of standing up at the altar and looking out at the audience and really connecting with everybody,” Woolard told People.

“But then seeing Hannah walk down, I think is something that I’ve always had a very clear picture of and how I would feel in that moment. And I just, as a man, knowing that I’m going to get married, I’ve always had that image in my mind.”

Hannah Brown MARRIES Adam Woolard! Get All the Details! was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip

Categories
Entertainment

Nick Hogan Breaks Silence, Pays Loving Tribute to Late Father Hulk Hogan

Reading Time: 3 minutes

As you’ve no doubt heard by now, Hulk Hogan passed away last week.

The pro wrestling legend was 71 years old.

It was public knowledge that Hulk was estranged from his daughter in recent years, but much less was known about his relationship with his son, Nick Hogan.

Now, Nick has broken his silence in order to sing his father’s praises on social media.

Wrestler Hulk Hogan (R) and son Nick Hogan arrive at the Comedy Central Roast Of David Hasselhoff held at Sony Pictures Studios on August 1, 2010 in Culver City, California.
Wrestler Hulk Hogan (R) and son Nick Hogan arrive at the Comedy Central Roast Of David Hasselhoff held at Sony Pictures Studios on August 1, 2010 in Culver City, California. (Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)

Nick Hogan shares moving message about late father

“Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me and comforted me over the last few days. It truly means a lot. I’m sorry to everyone I have not responded to yet. This has been overwhelming and extremely difficult,” Nick wrote on Instagram on Sunday, adding:

“Hearing so many kind words and stories about my dad’s life, interactions and experiences with everyone has been incredible and comforting.

“My dad was the most incredible person I’ve ever known and will always be my hero. He was the most kind, loving and amazing father anybody could ask for. I feel so blessed to have had the greatest dad in the world.

“He was not only the best dad but also my mentor and my best friend. He always has been my best friend and I love him and miss him more than I could ever explain. I thanked him for everything he has ever done for me and told him how much I loved him and hugged him every chance I got.”

Nick Hogan became closer to his father in Hulk’s final years

Nick went on to reveal that he reconnected with his father after moving to Florida several years ago.

“I spent a lot of time with him the past few years after moving back to Florida to be closer to him and I am so grateful for those memories. They are the best moments in my life,” he wrote.

“I would do anything to have him back but I know now that he will always be watching over me. I will always remember the lessons and advice he gave me and carry on in a way that I know would make him proud.”

Nick concluded by thanking his father for helping him become the man he is today.

Actor Hulk Hogan and his son Nick arrive at the 5th Annual Taurus World Stunt Awards on September 25, 2005 in Los Angeles, California.
Actor Hulk Hogan and his son Nick arrive at the 5th Annual Taurus World Stunt Awards on September 25, 2005 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Marsaili Mcgrath/Getty Images)

“Thank you for being the best dad in the world and thank you for being my best friend,” he wrote.

“I love you so much Big Dog and I will miss you forever.”

Nick’s statement follows a similarly moving message from Hulk’s widow, Sky Daily.

Hulk’s estranged daughter, Brooke Hogan, has yet to publicly remark on his passing, but insiders say she was on amicable terms with her father at the time of his passing.

Nick Hogan Breaks Silence, Pays Loving Tribute to Late Father Hulk Hogan was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip