Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Telephone Hill residents given 1 month reprieve, new eviction date Nov. 1

NOTN- Residents of Telephone Hill, who were set to be evicted this week, have been given a one-month reprieve.

Residents filled Centennial Hall last Monday to oppose a plan to redevelop Juneau’s Telephone Hill into higher-density housing.

About 30 people testified against the proposal, which calls for replacing about 14 existing units with more than 100 new units. Mayor Beth Weldon said the project is part of the city’s effort to expand downtown housing.

“Most of it just comes down to trying to get housing downtown.” said Weldon, “So instead of 14 units, we’re looking for over 100 units, its a leap of faith.”

Opponents who testified last week criticized the plan’s cost and the displacement of current residents. The city maintains that the redevelopment is necessary to address Juneau’s housing shortage.

“We do have a timeline. This is a tough topic for people, because we are doing evictions, but in the spirit of trying to get more housing downtown.” Weldon said.

The Juneau Assembly paused the process Monday night after city officials said proper legal procedures weren’t followed, with at least one tenant not receiving proper notice of eviction.

“It was determined that our property manager had not taken appropriate evidence or proof of posting eviction notices.” Said Deputy Mayor Greg Smith, “Legally, and to make sure that was all correct, we extended that to November 1, and so folks have a little more time, we’ll just make sure this is all done right. Obviously, this is a very challenging situation.”

New eviction notices will be issued, requiring residents to move out by November 1.

The Assembly has appropriated $5.5 million toward the redevelopment.

City leaders say the redevelopment plans remain on track despite the delay.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Telephone Hill housing plan draws debate at packed Assembly meeting

Telephone Hill Park, photo provided by CBJ

NOTN- Residents filled Centennial Hall on Monday to oppose a plan to redevelop Juneau’s Telephone Hill into higher-density housing.

About 30 people testified against the proposal, which calls for replacing 14 existing units with more than 100 new units. Mayor Beth Weldon said the project is part of the city’s effort to expand downtown housing.

The Assembly has appropriated $5.5 million toward the redevelopment, though Weldon said no decisions are final.

“Most of it just comes down to trying to get housing downtown.” said Weldon, “So instead of 14 units, we’re looking for over 100 units, its a leap of faith.”

Opponents who testified criticized the plan’s cost and the displacement of current residents. The city maintains the redevelopment is necessary to address Juneau’s housing shortage.

“We do have a timeline. This is a topic for people, because we are doing evictions, but in the spirit of trying to get more housing downtown.” Weldon said.

According to Mayor Weldon, the Assembly changed the format through resident testimony so that there was more conversation between the city and the individuals who showed up to testify.