Categories
Alaska News Featured Juneau News juneau Juneau Local Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Dunleavy vetoes some health and education increases approved by Alaska lawmakers

By: James Brooks, Alaska Beacon

Gov. Mike Dunleavy speaks to reporters at a news conference in Juneau on June 19, 2026. (Photo by Claire Stremple/Alaska Beacon)

Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy canceled funding increases for a variety of state health and education programs on Wednesday, vetoing a combined $57.8 million in general-purpose money from state budget bills passed by the Legislature.

Under the Alaska Constitution, the governor has the ability to eliminate or reduce individual line items from the budget. Dunleavy struck $20 million in extra funding for cities and boroughs, $11.25 million to increase Medicaid payments to health care providers, $6.4 million to help child care centers find workers, $2 million for the state’s seafood marketing program, $3 million for tourism marketing, and more. 

The governor did not veto most of a $300 million one-time bonus that lawmakers approved for Alaska’s public schools. He did cancel $3.7 million for Head Start grants, not quite a fifth of the proposed grant budget, and funding for a proposed public education spending adequacy study.

The governor’s vetoes were spread across the state’s operating budget, capital budget and mental health budget, the three bills that determine funding for state services in the fiscal year that starts July 1 and ends June 30, 2027.

It is the lowest amount of vetoes of any year in Dunleavy’s tenure. Last year, the governor initially vetoed a higher amount, but it was reduced after a successful veto override by lawmakers.

Altogether, Alaska will spend about $6.6 billion in general-purpose money during FY27, a figure that’s up by almost $600 million from the budget approved in spring 2025, according to figures published Wednesday by the Office of Management and Budget.

While high oil prices brought in more revenue than anticipated, they also burdened state agencies, local government and school districts with extra costs.

In response, Dunleavy said, the approved budget includes some extra funding for school districts around the state that are coping with high energy costs.

“While the state realized additional revenue, those same price pressures placed a real burden on school districts, particularly in rural Alaska. This budget makes targeted, responsible use of a temporary revenue increase to stabilize school facilities and address energy costs,” he said in a statement.

Earlier this year, legislators and the governor enacted a supplemental budget bill that added hundreds of millions in general-purpose spending to the FY26 budget; the FY27 supplemental will not be decided until next spring. 

When federal funding and fee-funded programs are included, the FY27 budget totals about $16.4 billion, including $782 million earmarked for the Permanent Fund dividend. Overall spending is up by about $1.2 billion from last spring. 

Entering the year, Dunleavy proposed to spend more than $1.5 billion from state savings accounts in order to pay a Permanent Fund dividend estimated at about $3,800 per recipient.

Legislators turned down that proposal, ultimately deciding on a $1,200 payment that includes a $1,000 dividend and a $200 one-time bonus.

Lawmakers avoided spending from savings altogether because the Iran War increased North Slope oil prices in March. 

Those high prices caused Alaskans to pay more individually, but they also generated hundreds of millions of dollars in extra revenue for the state treasury.

Categories
Politics

Orange gush: KC mayor parties with the Dutch

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas danced with Netherlands fans to their famous song “Links Rechts” ahead of the Orange Walk in Kansas City’s Power & Light District on Thursday. The Dutch supporters — along with the Scots and the Norwegians — have been some of the most exuberant in backing their team around the U.S. One local told the Kansas City Star that the experience topped a Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade.

​Politics

Categories
Alaska News

WATCH: Report says more U.S. families are saving for college

(The Center Square) – As taxpayers continue subsidizing higher education and student loan debt at $1.8 trillion, more American families are planning and saving for college, according to a new Sallie Mae report.

Categories
Politics

How much longer can Donald Trump go missing from the World Cup?

Some of soccer’s biggest names have come to play at the World Cup: Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappé, Erling Haaland, Vinícius Júnior and now even Cristiano Ronaldo have left their mark on the score sheet.

But one key player who loomed over just about every step of pre-tournament preparations has been notably invisible: Donald Trump.

Pre-tournament fears that the American president would trample on the soccer jamboree have, so far, proved largely unfounded after the first two weeks of competition. Trump has yet to attend a match, and even as the U.S. team mounts its best World Cup performance in decades he has done little to claim the success as his own.

Aside from persistent complications surrounding the Iran squad’s entry and exit to the U.S. for games, and the ban on a Somali referee from entering the country before the tournament started, political incidents involving the Trump administration and soccer — or leaders of other World Cup countries, including the neighboring co-hosts with whom he often spars — have been few and far between.

No ICE arrests around matches. No heavy-handed policing like soccer fans sometimes suffer in Western Europe. No beef between Trump and Democratic leaders of cities and states where some of the tournament’s highest-profile matches have been played.

As one European-based senior sports executive told POLITICO last year about the administration and the World Cup, “Why would they want to f—k it up?”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio attended the USMNT’s opener against Paraguay in Los Angeles, while Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. — along with other senior Cabinet officials — was at the American match vs. Australia in Seattle. Though Trump himself hasn’t been to a game yet, he did send the U.S. squad a message of support at the start of the tournament.

In an interview last week with POLITICO, Massachusetts Democratic Gov. Maura Healey said her administration had worked with the U.S. government “around transportation funding, security funding. That’s the way it should be. There should be that kind of work and coordination.”

Trump allies are on the same page as the tournament progresses serenely through the group stage, beyond continued griping about high ticket prices and transport to and from some stadiums.

“It’s been really good to see the coordination, certainly from a law enforcement perspective,” said Andrew Giuliani, head of the White House’s World Cup task force, as he praised cooperation with police and security services in blue states like New York, New Jersey and California, where the administration doesn’t “agree eye to eye with the mayors and the governors.”

“It’s fun to see moments where the country can come together as well, and I think this is one of those great moments over our 250th birthday where that can happen,” he added.

This week, FIFA chief Gianni Infantino confirmed what many have expected: Trump plans to attend the final on July 19 and help present the winner’s trophy. Can a president who loves the spotlight stay away till then?

​Politics

Categories
Alaska News

Gov. Dunleavy signs Alaska state budget as lawmakers weigh next steps

Governor Mike Dunleavy has signed Alaska’s state budget into law, funding schools, disaster relief, and wildfire suppression while vetoing several spending items. The cuts drew criticism from some lawmakers, while others defended the governor’s approach to limiting spending. Legislators could…

Categories
Alaska News

Gov. Dunleavy signs Alaska state budget as lawmakers weigh next steps

Gov. Mike Dunleavy has signed Alaska’s state budget into law, drawing mixed reactions from lawmakers over funding priorities and spending cuts. Legislators could return next week to consider possible veto overrides.

Categories
Sports Fox

4 Takeaways From Ivory Coast’s Win Over Curaçao In Group E Finale

For the first time ever, Ivory Coast has qualified for the knockout stage of the FIFA World Cup. Ivory Coast sealed its progression with a straightforward win over Curaçao on Thursday in Philadelphia. Nicolas Pépé scored once in each half, including one in the seventh minute that put the African nation in control from the start. Here are our takeaways: 1. Ivory Coast Will Be A Tough Out … Ivory Coast got a late winner to earn three points against Ecuador in its opening match, and it was moments away from a draw against Germany. It’s clear Les Éléphants have a competitive squad, highlighted by Yan Diomandé in attack and veteran Franck Kessié in midfield. The team took care of business against Curaçao, clearly creating the better scoring chances and dominating possession. It even had a respectable 40% of the ball against Germany, despite scoring the first goal in the 30th minute and playing on the back foot for most of the game. This squad is full of players from top clubs in Europe. Striker Ange-Yoan Bonny is at Inter Milan, winger Amad Diallo at Manchester United, while midfielder Ibrahim Sangaré is also a regular in the Premier League for Nottingham Forrest. Ivory Coast will not be intimidated by any opponent, a sentiment that will come in handy in its next game. 2. … So Watch Out Norway (Or France) The Ivory Coast’s prize for finishing second in Group E might not be seen as a positive one by many. Les Éléphants will be drawn against the second-place team in Group I, which will be either France or Norway. Both teams are on six points entering their Friday catchup, but the French have a superior goal difference. That means Norway has to beat France to win Group I. Regardless of which team Ivory Coast will face, it will be an underdog to advance. France has some of the best players in the tournament, while Erling Haaland powers a Norway attack that is one of the best in the tournament. 3. Diomandé’s Price Tag Keeps Going Up The 19-year-old winger, who currently plays his club soccer at RB Leipzig in Germany, has been a hot topic this summer, with Champions League winners Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool rumored to be very interested in his services. He has shown why with three impressive performances in the group stage for Ivory Coast. Diomandé provided the assist for Pépé’s opening goal on Thursday, getting possession after a mistake from Curaçao in its own 18-yard box and putting it on a plate for Pépé. Having a player like Diomandé, who can create a chance out of nothing, will be huge moving forward for Ivory Coast. Chances may be at a premium for Les Éléphants in the knockout stages, but Diomandé is capable of making sure their quality looks at goal. 4. Curaçao’s Presence Won’t Be Forgotten This World Cup has featured some of the smallest nations ever to compete in the tournament, which makes sense given the expansion to 48 teams. No country is smaller than Curaçao, which has a population of 158,000 people. Only one player in the squad was born there (Tahith Chong), while the other 22 were born in the Netherlands with ancestry from the country. Of course, the tournament started with a 7-1 thumping against Germany, but Curaçao followed that up with an impressive defensive effort to hold Ecuador to a 0-0 draw. Cape Verde has captivated the tournament with two draws to open the tournament, while DR Congo held Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal scoreless. While there have been some lopsided scorelines in the tournament, it’s encouraging to see some of these teams get their shot on the biggest stage — and occasionally look like they belong.​Latest Sports News from FOX Sports

Categories
Politics

Meloni allies fail to take over Italian soccer

The most high-profile team to miss out on the 2026 World Cup, Italy, is picking a new crop of officials to revamp its discredited soccer association — as Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s allies failed in their bid to take more control over the body.

Veteran sports official Giovanni Malagò, a former president of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) for more than a decade, overcame opposition from Italy’s right-wing government to become the new president of the Italian soccer association (FIGC) earlier this week.

Malagò’s key challenge is to mend ties with Italian Sports Minister Andrea Abodi, with whom he has clashed in the past and who publicly questioned Malagò’s soccer credentials. Until the very last minute, Meloni’s government tried to block Malagò from clinching the FIGC’s top job — but ultimately failed.

In a soccer-mad country where the sport carries outsized cultural weight, Italy’s failure to qualify for the World Cup turned into a proxy battle over governance, reforms, investment and the Meloni administration’s willingness to extend political influence into independent institutions.

Frustrated Italian soccer fans, who have seen their country miss out on qualifying for the last three World Cups, just want Malagò to pick Italy’s new head coach.

The favorites for the job are Roberto Mancini and Antonio Conte — two soccer grandees who both previously coached the Italian national team. Another soccer legend, former AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini, is being touted for a new job as a bridge between the FIGC and the players, according to Italian media.

But that’s not the only item sitting in Malagò’s in-tray.

Italy must nominate five stadiums capable of hosting matches at Euro 2032, which it will co-organize with Turkey, by an October deadline. That’s potentially problematic given that Europe’s governing body, UEFA, warned that Italy could lose its role as co-organizer unless it upgrades its dilapidated soccer infrastructure.

​Politics

Categories
Alaska News

Electricity ‘tax’ axe, school choice funding boost delivered to state House

(The Center Square) – Eliminating a de facto “electricity tax” and boosting funding for school choice programs share space in one legislative proposal handed back to Pennsylvania’s House of Representatives late Thursday afternoon.

Categories
Alaska News

Illinois to see 4 new consumer protection laws enacted

(The Center Square) – Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker was joined by state lawmakers and other officials Thursday to sign a four-bill package of legislation aimed at targeting deceptive and fraudulent business practices Thursday.