Categories
Food

The Bakery Display Case Red Flag That Should Send You Running

To make sure that you’re only getting the freshest of fresh pastries, you need to keep an eye out for these red flags you can see in a bakery case.

​Food Republic – Restaurants, Reviews, Recipes, Cooking Tips

Categories
Featured Juneau News juneau Juneau Local Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Alaska House passes nearly $500M budget deficit bill, amid split support for Dunleavy spending

By: Corinne Smith, Alaska Beacon

Members of the Alaska House of Representatives convene on the first day of the second session of the 34th Alaska State Legislature on Jan. 20, 2026 (Photo by Corinne Smith/Alaska Beacon)

The Alaska House of Representatives advanced a nearly $500 million supplemental budget bill to address the state’s budget deficit — one of the largest budget shortfalls to date — amid debate and scrutiny from Republicans who opposed drawing from a state savings account to pay for it, leaving the bill unfunded for now. 

Lawmakers passed House Bill 289, known as the supplemental budget, by a 24 to 16 vote on Monday, which is largely a routine process to address budget shortfalls and fund state government services and programs through the fiscal year that ends on June 30.

Top line items include an additional $40 million for disaster relief, following the devastation of the remnants of Typhoon Halong on Western Alaska; $55 million for last year’s million-acre wildfire season in the Interior of Alaska; $70 million in transportation funding to unlock $630 million in federal matching funds; $130 million for the Higher Education Investment Fund; $20 million for the Alaska Department of Corrections; and millions for public assistance including Medicaid, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, housing vouchers and senior benefits.  

But members of the Republican-led House Minority caucus raised concerns and frustration at the “fast tracked” budget bill, as well as expansion of spending and high costs for this year. While some members said a few items may be mandatory like funding disaster relief efforts and transportation, other spending items need further vetting and review. 

Voicing opposition, Republican members voted against immediately funding the roughly $490 million budget bill through the state’s principal savings account, the Constitutional Budget Reserve – which failed by a 24 to 16 vote on Monday. 

Unlocking the savings requires three quarters of the 40-person House, or 30 votes. Amid higher than expected state costs, and declining oil prices and state revenues, the Legislature must draw from the savings account to fund the state government. 

The budget bill is expected to advance to the Senate for further debate and possible amendments. But on Monday, Rep. Mia Costello, R-Anchorage, a member of the minority caucus, requested a re-vote, expected on Wednesday, which may change the final vote tally but is not expected to delay the bill. 

Historically, members of the minority have withheld support for the CBR vote until after the Senate approves the bill to maintain negotiating leverage. 

Rep. DeLena Johnson, R-Palmer who serves as the House Minority Leader, raised objections to what she called a rushed process in the House. 

“A rush through the budget without adequate scrutiny, in my opinion, without transparency, that’s not efficiency, that’s just courting failure, that’s just a rush to failure,” Johnson said. “And history has shown that rushed budgets often lead to unintended consequences.”  

Members of the multipartisan House Majority caucus called for lawmakers to support the budget bill, as requested by Dunleavy, and pay the state’s bills now.

Rep. Andy Josephson, D-Anchorage speaks on the supplemental budget bill on the House floor on Feb. 24, 2026. (Photo by Corinne Smith/Alaska Beacon)
Rep. Andy Josephson, D-Anchorage speaks on the supplemental budget bill on the House floor on Feb. 24, 2026. (Photo by Corinne Smith/Alaska Beacon)

“These obligations must be paid,” said Rep. Andy Josephson, D-Anchorage, who chairs the House Finance Committee, speaking on the House floor on Monday. “There’s nothing unusual. The size is unusual, but the fact that they were requested and filed is not unusual. They are obligations of the state. They are effectively binding contracts that must be paid. And the question is, when.”

Dunleavy first introduced the supplemental budget in December, and requested additional items up to last week, including $35 million more for disaster relief if the state fails a federal appeal and is denied a request for the Federal Emergency Management Agency to fund 90% of costs for the first three months of the typhoon disaster in October.  

Some items, like the $70 million federal transportation match, replace funds that Dunleavy vetoed last year — to the alarm of some lawmakers, union and construction industry groups because the money unlocks hundreds of millions of federal dollars. Lawmakers say it is time-sensitive to fund it in order to support the summer construction season. 

“I would say these are actually precise invoices, not a blank check,” said Rep. Chuck Kopp, D-Anchorage. “They’re ones that were already on the books, and we’ve already taken the responsibility to pay.”

Lawmakers also allocated nearly $130 million to repay the Higher Education Investment Fund, which in part funds student scholarships, in order to cover state expenses last year. 

Some Republicans questioned departments spending over what the Legislature appropriated last year, particularly the Alaska Department of Corrections, calling for more thorough oversight and transparency.

“We have departments who have come with us, who actually spent like drunken sailors last year,” said Rep. Jamie Allard, R-Eagle River. “We need to make sure that they’re reined in.”

Other lawmakers pushed back against critics for holding up the budget bill process.

“I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone,” said Rep. Andrew Gray, D-Anchorage, on the House floor on Monday, in response to Republicans’ criticisms of Dunleavy’s budget request and administration spending. “And what I’ll say is that sometimes we just have to put our differences behind us. We have to collaborate, cooperate, and do what’s best for Alaska.” 

Following the House votes on Monday, House Speaker Rep. Bryce Edgmon, I-Dillingham, pointed out that the governor has not been involved in supporting the budget his administration has requested. “It’s quite interesting if this is a governor’s bill and the governor’s not involved at all in terms of promoting his own bill,” he said. 

Rep. Jeremy Bynem, R-Ketchikan, a member of the minority, raised concerns on the House floor but ultimately voted to support the budget bill and the savings draw. “It was a difficult, challenging vote for me,” he said of voting against his caucus. 

“I absolutely did not love the process we went through to get to where we were today. There are items in that (bill) I still have questions on,” he said. “The reality is that many of these items are things that we will have to take up and pay for.”

A spokesperson for Dunleavy’s office did not respond to a request for comment on the criticisms raised and lack of support from Republicans on the governor’s requested budget.

“The Alaska Constitution grants appropriation powers to the legislature, and that includes the CBR draw,” said Jeff Turner, communications director for Dunleavy. “The governor’s office is not part of any negotiations between the house caucuses.”

Categories
Music

RISERS: The Red Clay Strays Have Everyone’s Attention in 2026

They have something for everyone. Continue reading…​The Boot – Country Music News, Music Videos and Songs

Categories
Music

RISERS: The Red Clay Strays Have Everyone’s Attention in 2026

They have something for everyone. Continue reading…​Country Music News – Taste of Country

Categories
Entertainment

Xavier Trudeau Reacts to Dad Justin Trudeau’s Romance With Katy Perry

Katy Perry, Xavier TrudeauXavier Trudeau isn’t feeling hot ‘n’ cold over Katy Perry.
Two months after the “California Gurls” singer hard launched her relationship with Justin Trudeau, the former Canadian Prime Minister’s…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Health

The Shocking Racial Slur At 2026 BAFTAs Proves Tourette’s Is More Complex Than Everyone Thinks

Viewers of the 2026 BAFTAs were stunned when they heard someone shout a racial slur. Sadly, it ultimately proved just how complex Tourette’s really is.

​Health Digest – Health News, Wellness, Expert Insights

Categories
Entertainment

The Food Network Shows Emeril Lagasse Wants No Part Of

Emeril Lagasse was Food Network’s first star chef in the ’90s. Despite being an icon, there’s one type of cooking show that he’s not interested in.

​Mashed – Fast Food, Celebrity Chefs, Grocery, Reviews

Categories
Entertainment

Rosie O’Donnell’s Daughter Imprisoned For Sexually Assaulting a Man

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Back in October, Rosie O’Donnell’s daughter, Chelsea O’Donnell, was sentenced to jail time following a probation violation in Wisconsin.

At the time, the nature of her violation was unclear.

Now, it seems that Chelsea has been accused of sexually assaulting a man.

Rosie O'Donnell performs onstage during FRIENDLY HOUSE LA Comedy Benefit, hosted by Rosie O'Donnell, at The Fonda Theatre on July 16, 2022 in Los Angeles, California.
Rosie O’Donnell performs onstage during FRIENDLY HOUSE LA Comedy Benefit, hosted by Rosie O’Donnell, at The Fonda Theatre on July 16, 2022 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Amy Sussman/Getty Images)

News of Chelsea’s alleged misconduct comes courtesy of a report written by the State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections and obtained by TMZ.

According to the report, Chelsea, 28, was driving a car when she reached into the backseat and groped the thigh and genitals of a male passenger.

The situation allegedly escalated when the man made it clear that he was not interested in Chelsea sexually.

After the victim “turned her down,” the report claims, Chelsea became upset and “began to drive erratically and not pay attention to the road.”

Rosie O'Donnell attends Cool Comedy Hot Cuisine Benefitting The Scleroderma Research Foundation at Fairmont Century Plaza on October 29, 2024 in Los Angeles, California.
Rosie O’Donnell attends Cool Comedy Hot Cuisine Benefitting The Scleroderma Research Foundation at Fairmont Century Plaza on October 29, 2024 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)

Fortunately, no one was injured.

Unfortunately, the incident resulted in yet another brush with the law for Rosie’s troubled daughter.

The corrections department report also noted that Chelsea “showed minimal advancement” in her court-ordered addiction treatment program.

Rosie has spoken openly about Chelsea’s struggles with substance abuse and mental illness over the years.

“My child Chelsea Celle – before addiction took over her life – I loved her then I love her now as she faces a scary future – prayers welcomed- #addiction awareness #love #family,” Rosie captioned a photo of a young Chelsea when she was arrested last year.

Rosie O'Donnell arrives in Australia ahead of her "Common Knowledge" show at the Sydney Opera House on October 06, 2025 in Sydney, Australia.
Rosie O’Donnell arrives in Australia ahead of her “Common Knowledge” show at the Sydney Opera House on October 06, 2025 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images for Tinderbox Productions)

Rosie adopted Chelsea as a baby in 1997, but mother and daughter have been estranged for most of Chelsea’s adult years.

In January of 2025, Chelsea filed to change her last name in retaliation for being cut out of Rosie’s $80 million will.

Chelsea announced that she intended to use the name Neuens, which is the maiden name of her birth mother, Deanna Micoley.

The length of Chelsea’s sentence is unknown, and it’s not clear if she’s still behind bars or if she’s been released.

We will have further updates on this developing story as new information becomes available.

Rosie O’Donnell’s Daughter Imprisoned For Sexually Assaulting a Man was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip

Categories
Entertainment

Lindsey Vonn Details Mental Health Battle After 2026 Olympics Crash

Lindsey Vonn, 2026 OlympicsLindsey Vonn is facing an uphill battle.
Less than two weeks after a crash at the 2026 Winter Olympics that left her with a broken left tibia, the alpine ski racer is sharing the more difficult,…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Entertainment

Tim Gunn: I’ve Been Celibate for 40 Years! Here’s Why…

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Tim Gunn has opened up about something very personal.

And rather surprising, too, we must say.

On a recent episode of Chelsea Handler’s Dear Chelsea podcast, the former Project Runway host told listeners he’s been celibate for over 40 years.

He then delved into the reason why.

Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn attend the Daily Front Row Fashion Media Awards at The Rainbow Room on September 10, 2022 in New York City. (Photo by Gary Gershoff/Getty Images for Daily Front Row)

“I loved this person deeply and would have done anything for him,” Gunn said, describing a nine-year relationship that concluded in VERY deep pain. “And I still remember the night that it all ended.”

The 72-year old went on to recall that he and his ex were in bed watching television when his ex informed him, “I have no patience for you any longer. I want you to leave.”

Quite abrupt. And so very hurtful.

“I had my own apartment, but I had been living with him for years,” Gunn said. “And I left. I drove to my apartment … and I had to pull off because I was hyperventilating. I was beside myself with self-flagellation and self-pity. And it was awful.”

Tim Gunn of Amazon Prime’s ‘Making the Cut’ speaks onstage during the 2020 Winter TCA Tour Day 8 at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena on January 14, 2020 in Pasadena, California. (Photo by Amy Sussman/Getty Images)

Gunn didn’t drop any names, but did emphasize that he and this ex worked together at the time.

“One of the things that he told me that night was that he had been sleeping with just about everything that walked by,” the TV personality continued. “And I had been loyal and faithful to him.”

The ex-Making the Cut host noted that his ex was the only person he had ever been with… and that learning about his former partner’s multiple instances of infidelity left him angry and fearful for his own health.

“The self-pity then turned to completely unbridled anger because I thought he may have given me a death sentence,” Gunn explained.

“And I was tested every six months for ten years for HIV and thankfully I had a clean slate. But whenever I was even tempted to engage in something that could become serious with someone, all this would come back like Niagara Falls, and it would just take the desire away.”

Wow, huh?

Tim Gunn attends the ‘American Style’ New Series World Premiere during the 2018 Tribeca TV Festival at Spring Studios on September 23, 2018 in New York City. (Getty)

Gunn says it was an “adjustment” to be on his own, but he now embraces the lifestyle.

He also notes that the break-up prompted him to move to New York City, which is a major reason why he then launched such a successful career.

“I wanted to kill him,” Gunn said on the podcast of his ex.

“And I wanted him to hurt as badly as I had been hurt. He seemed to be impervious to it, though. So it was just great to get away. And also moving to New York, I had this huge learning curve about this entirely new environment and different social interactions and a completely different academic environment in which I was teaching, so that was wonderful.”

Nowadays, meanwhile?

“It took a while,” he said of moving on. “And, you know, I occasionally relive in it my head, but it doesn’t hurt any longer.”

Tim Gunn: I’ve Been Celibate for 40 Years! Here’s Why… was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip