Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Juneau Local News Feeds

Juneau Man arrested after firing rifle from residence

According to the proposed ordinance, when an officer-involved shooting occurs that causes death or serious injury to an officer or someone else, Juneau Police Department would release body-worn camera footage no later than 30 days after the incident. (Photo courtesy City & Borough of Juneau website)

NOTN- Juneau police arrested a 22-year-old man Monday night after reports that a rifle had been fired from a home on Radcliffe Road.

Police say officers were called to the 2100 block of Radcliffe Road, where a caller reported their roommate, Ethan Hagh, had fired a single round from an AR-15-style rifle out of a window.

The caller and other occupants were able to safely leave the residence but were unsure where Hagh had gone at the time of the report.

Officers searched the area for several hours, using drones and a public address system in an attempt to locate Hagh.

Those efforts were initially unsuccessful.

Just before 7:30 p.m., officers encountered Hagh walking back toward the residence. He was detained without incident. Police later found an AR-15-style rifle inside the home and a pistol on Hagh’s person.

No injuries were reported.

Hagh was taken to Lemon Creek Correctional Center and charged with one count of second-degree misconduct involving weapons and two counts of third-degree assault related to domestic violence and one count of reckless endangerment, according to the statement released by JPD.

He was arraigned today and released.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Juneau Police investigating burglary at local church, asking for the public to help

Photo of burglary suspects from JPD’s Facebook page

NOTN- Juneau police are asking for the public’s help identifying three suspects accused of burglarizing a local church early November 1.

First reported by the Juneau Independent, the Juneau Police Department said officers began investigating the incident after receiving a report of a burglary at the Juneau Church of Christ, located on Trinity Drive. Surveillance video showed three individuals breaking into the church between 2 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. police said.

Approximately $4,000 worth of electronics and other items were reported stolen, including an Apple MacBook Air, Panasonic HD camcorder, GoPro Hero 3, Sennheiser wireless microphone system, and various audio-visual equipment. Police said the thieves also took plastic decorative flowers and laundry detergent.

Investigators released surveillance footage in hopes of identifying the suspects, available on JPD’s Facebook page.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Sergeant Lee Phelps at the Juneau Police Department at (907) 586-0600. Anonymous tips can be submitted through JuneauCrimeLine.com.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Juneau police investigate crash that left woman seriously injured

NOTN- A 28-year-old Juneau woman was seriously injured early this morning in a single-vehicle crash along Egan Drive, according to the Juneau Police Department.

Police said officers were called at about 6:10 a.m. to the outbound off-ramp near the U-Haul building, where a gray Ford F-150 had gone off the road. The woman, who was the only occupant of the truck, was partially ejected and sustained life-threatening injuries.

She was taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital and later medevaced out of town for further treatment.

The intersection and right outbound lane of Egan Drive were closed for several hours during the investigation but have since reopened.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation. Police said details released so far are preliminary and subject to change as the investigation continues.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

City holds reorganization meeting, police are called on man accused of threatening City officials

NOTN- Juneau Mayor Beth Weldon said city officials are taking new safety precautions after a man previously banned from City Hall returned during Monday night’s Assembly meeting and caused alarm among members as well as an hour delay preceding this month’s reorganization meeting.

Weldon said the man, who has a history of making threatening remarks toward the city, appeared wearing a mask and goggles, carrying a backpack, and taking photos while standing close to Assembly members.

“He’s been trespassed from City Hall and showed up yesterday and
was menacing to the assembly, looming over them and taking pictures of us.” Said Weldon “It just was very uncomfortable for all of us, because we knew his history.”

Police escorted the man out peacefully, and Weldon said he will now be trespassed from all city meeting spaces, including Centennial Hall and City Hall.

She emphasized that the incident was not connected to ongoing public testimony about the controversial Telephone Hill redevelopment project, which has drawn strong emotional responses but no threats.

“The testimony from Telephone Hill residents has been very heartfelt,” Weldon said. “At no time have we felt threatened by them.”

The meeting did however, mark the close of the 2025 municipal election cycle as newly elected members were officially sworn into office.

Ella Adkison began her first full term as Areawide Assemblymember, Greg Smith started his final three-year term representing District 1, and Nathaniel “Nano” Brooks took office for his first term in District 2. On the School Board, Steve Whitney and Melissa Cullum each began three-year terms, while Jenny Thomas will serve two years to complete an unexpired seat.

Voters approved two citizen-led propositions, one lowering the property tax cap from 12 to 9 mills, and another creating sales tax exemptions for food and essential utilities, both tax measures will be in place November 20.

A third measure, proposing a seasonal sales tax, failed.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Juneau man arrested after package containing fentanyl was taken to local business

NOTN- A 50-year-old Juneau man was arrested this week after investigators intercepted a package containing more than 200 grams of fentanyl that was shipped to the capital city, according to a press release by the Southeast Alaska Cities Against Drugs (SEACAD) task force.

Investigators identified the suspicious package on October 12 and determined it contained about 219 grams of fentanyl, SEACAD said. The next day, the package was delivered to Joshua R. Riley, who allegedly took it to All-Star Auto, a business in the 900 block of West 10th Street.

Officers executed a search warrant after he opened the package. In addition to the fentanyl, SEACAD agents said they seized other drugs, including 10.12 grams of heroin, 8.2 grams of psilocybin mushrooms, 4.89 grams of methamphetamine, and another 0.66 grams of fentanyl in a separate package. A digital scale was also found.

Riley was arrested and taken to Lemon Creek Correctional Center on federal charges of Attempted Possession with Intent to Deliver and Conspiracy to Distribute Controlled Substances.

The seized narcotics have an estimated combined street value of about $111,000, SEACAD said.

SEACAD, Southeast Alaska Cities Against Drugs, is a regional task force comprised of municipal police departments from Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Haines, Skagway, Petersburg, Hoonah, Wrangell, Craig, and Yakutat, the Alaska State Troopers, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, United States Postal Inspection Service, and Coast Guard Investigative Service. Together, they work to investigate drug importation and distribution in the Southeast Alaska region.

Categories
Featured Juneau News Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

State declines to charge former Juneau police officer in July use-of-force incident

According to the proposed ordinance, when an officer-involved shooting occurs that causes death or serious injury to an officer or someone else, Juneau Police Department would release body-worn camera footage no later than 30 days after the incident. (Photo courtesy City & Borough of Juneau website)
(Photo courtesy City & Borough of Juneau website)

NOTN- The Alaska Department of Law’s Office of Special Prosecutions will not file criminal charges against former Juneau Police Officer Brandon LeBlanc for his use of force during a July 30 arrest that left a man unconscious and later medevaced out of Juneau for his injuries.

The decision follows a review of an Alaska State Troopers investigation into the incident, in which Officer LeBlanc took Christopher Williams Jr. to the ground during an arrest.

Williams struck his head on the pavement, was knocked unconscious, and was later medevaced to Anchorage for treatment.

Special Assistant Attorney General reviewed body camera footage, civilian video, officer interviews, and other evidence, and in a Statement from the office of Special Prosecutions, concluded that prosecutors could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that LeBlanc’s use of force was unjustified under Alaska law.

While acknowledging that Williams was seriously injured, the Office of Special Prosecutions determined that LeBlanc’s actions did not constitute deadly force and that the takedown maneuver used was considered a “nondeadly control tactic in law enforcement”, The state found LeBlanc believed he needed to gain control of Williams, who according to the statement, appeared intoxicated and was actively resisting being handcuffed.

The report noted that although LeBlanc’s comments during the incident including a threat to “slam” Williams and a remark after the takedown, raised questions about his motivations, the totality of circumstances did not meet the legal threshold for criminal charges.

The letter also criticized the City and Borough of Juneau’s decision to publicly release body camera and in-car video footage of the incident before the investigation was complete, saying the release occurred “over the explicit objection” of both the Department of Public Safety and the Department of Law. Prosecutors warned that such releases could jeopardize future cases by affecting jury impartiality.

The Office of Special Prosecutions said its review was limited to whether LeBlanc’s actions violated criminal law and did not address possible policy or disciplinary issues within the Juneau Police Department.

The State’s letter concluded:

“The State will not file criminal charges against JPD Officer Brandon LeBlanc relating to the July 30, 2025, use of nondeadly force against Christopher Williams Jr. in Juneau, Alaska.”