Categories
Featured Juneau News juneau Juneau Local Juneau Local News Feeds

Juneau School District names Shawn Arnold as superintendent

NOTN- The Juneau School Board has selected Shawn Arnold as the next superintendent of the Juneau School District, according to an announcement.

Arnold currently serves as principal of Thunder Mountain Middle School and previously led Thunder Mountain High School. He has also worked as the district’s director of student services.

Before coming to Juneau in 2021, Arnold served as superintendent of both the Valdez City School District and Nome Public Schools.

In a statement, Arnold said he was honored to be chosen for the role.

“Juneau is my home, and I care deeply about this community, our students and the staff who serve them every day,” Arnold said. “Together, we will focus on supporting our staff, strengthening relationships and ensuring that Juneau’s schools remain a source of pride in our community.”

The selection follows a three-month search process led by the Juneau School Board with assistance from national recruiting firm McPherson and Jacobson. The process included community surveys, meetings with stakeholders and public candidate forums.

Arnold was selected from a group of finalists that also included Dr. Carlee Simon and Kevin Shipley.

Categories
Entertainment

How Long Is Cooked Ground Beef Safe To Eat?

How long is your cooked ground beef good for? We break down key food safety facts for storing, freezing, and reheating your leftover cooked ground beef.

​Mashed – Fast Food, Celebrity Chefs, Grocery, Reviews

Categories
Alaska News

Alaska accuses crowdfunding websites of violating law, using charities’ names without their consent

(Photo by Krisanapong Detraphiphat/Getty Images)

(Photo by Krisanapong Detraphiphat/Getty Images)

The state of Alaska filed civil lawsuits Tuesday against six crowdfunding websites, accusing them of illegally soliciting donations for thousands of Alaska charities without consent.

In complaints filed at Anchorage Superior Court, the consumer protection unit of the Alaska Department of Law said GoFundMe, PayPal, Charity Navigator, Pledgling Technologies, JustGiving and Network For Good each violated the Alaska Charitable Solicitations Act thousands of times. 

That act, in place since 1993, requires state registration for anyone who seeks donations on behalf of a charity. 

The suits ask a judge to order the sites shut down the pages devoted to Alaska nonprofits and immediately disburse any donations to those nonprofits. It also asks for “separate civil penalties … of not less than $1,000 and not more than $25,000 per violation.”

According to the complaints, the six crowdfunding sites scraped IRS data to obtain the information of thousands of Alaska nonprofits, then set up donation pages for each of those nonprofits without their consent.

That scraping was part of a nationwide campaign that encompassed almost a million and a half federally registered organizations.

In some cases, the sites charged fees or encouraged “tips” to themselves during the donation process. In many cases, they poured donations into a third-party account and only released donations to charities who stepped forward to claim them, according to the complaints.

Attorney General-designee Stephen Cox said the state became aware of the issue after California reporters and state officials began investigating why GoFundMe created donation pages for 1.4 million nonprofits without their consent or knowledge.

GoFundMe later took down many of those pages, but other crowdfunding websites did not. On Tuesday morning, donation pages were still visible on Charity Navigator, one of the defendants named in the new Alaska lawsuits.

Earlier this week, almost two dozen state attorney generals sent a letter to GoFundMe, demanding answers to questions about its policies.

Alaska did not sign that letter, in part because officials here believed the response was too weak.

In a prepared statement, Cox said, “Alaska law is clear: if you’re going to raise money in a charity’s name, you must first get the charity’s consent. These lawsuits are about protecting donors, protecting nonprofits, and preserving the public trust that makes charitable giving possible.”

Laurie Wolf is President and CEO of the Foraker Group, which advises Alaska nonprofits and provides them with administrative support.

The Foraker Group has been issuing warnings about the issue for months, and Wolf filed an affidavit in support of the lawsuit, as did a representative of the Bethel Community Services Foundation and Bread Line Inc., which operates a food bank in Fairbanks.

By phone on Tuesday, Wolf said the issue is a matter of consent: “They are impersonating 1.2 million nonprofits across this country, they’re impersonating them without their consent or even their knowledge.”

She said the issue became particularly important last fall, when people across the United States and the world became aware of the devastation caused by ex-Typhoon Halong in Western Alaska.

Many people, not knowing local Alaska charities, simply donated via links they found on internet searches. Some of those donations may have never reached their intended recipients.

If a crowdfunding website operates independently of the charity it intends to benefit, it might interfere with the charity’s own fundraising, she explained.

Someone might never be recognized for their gift and become angry, hurting the charity’s long-term relationship with their community.

“They take away the ability for the organization to make choices for itself about how it wants to build trust and relationships with its donors, and how it wants to put its brand and its mission out in the public sphere. They’ve taken away all of our choices about that,” she said.

In addition, donations may be subject to fees or never reach a charity at all, particularly if the charity is unaware that a crowdfunding website is holding money for it to collect.

The Foraker Group went so far as to conduct an experiment and had an employee donate to the group through several of the defendants’ platforms. In multiple cases, it took weeks before the donation reached its intended recipient, and in some cases, the donor’s identity was concealed, making it impossible for the charity to properly thank them.

GoFundMe was the only defendant to respond to emailed inquiries before the Beacon’s reporting deadline on Tuesday.

“GoFundMe’s mission is to help people help each other by making it easier for donors to discover and support the causes they care about. We are committed to helping nonprofits reach new supporters by connecting them with the millions of people on our platform who want to make a difference. Nonprofit Pages were created using publicly available information to help people support nonprofit organizations, with donations going to the intended nonprofit,” said Jeff Platt, communications manager for GoFundMe. 

“After hearing feedback from nonprofit leaders in October, we acted quickly to make Nonprofit Pages fully opt-in, removed and de-indexed unclaimed pages, and turned off search engine optimization by default. The immediate changes we made directly addressed the concerns of the nonprofit community, and reflect our continued commitment to transparency, accountability, and partnership with the nonprofit sector,” he said.

This week’s lawsuits in state court rely in large part on the 1993 Alaska Charitable Solicitations Act

That bill passed the Alaska Legislature amid a surge of concern about telemarketers soliciting donations by phone. 

Then-Rep. Ron Larson, a Democrat from the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, sponsored the act and told fellow lawmakers at the time that “lookalike organizations” were “ripping off” legitimate charities.

The act made no mention of donations by internet, and in state law, it’s still labeled as “Telephonic solicitations,” but it goes on to state that under any circumstances it is unlawful to use a charity’s name or symbol without their permission.

“Alaskans are generous people. But generosity depends on trust,” Cox said in his prepared statements. “GoFundMe and similar platforms used nonprofits’ good names to solicit donations without coordinating with the organizations actually doing the charitable work. That means some Alaskans may have donated thinking they were supporting a specific charity, when the charity never authorized the page and may never have received the donation — or may have received less than donors intended because of fees.”

SUPPORT: YOU MAKE OUR WORK POSSIBLE

Categories
Entertainment

Jace Evans Was Institutionalized After Pulling Gun on Grandma, Source Claims

Reading Time: 3 minutes

As we previously reported, Jenelle Evans had son Jace committed to a mental hospital in North Carolina recently.

The troubled Teen Mom star made the decision from afar, as she still resides in Las Vegas.

Jace and Jenelle have had a strained (to put it mildly) relationship for years, but this was an extreme action.

And now, we have new information about what may have led Jenelle to have her son committed.

Jace Evans and Jenelle Evans
Jenelle Evans has a very poor relationship with son Jace. (Instagram)

According to a new report from TMZ, Jace “pulled a gun” on his grandmother and temporary guardian Barbara Evans.

But several people — including Jenelle’s estranged sister, Ashleigh — have disputed that claim.

The Ashley’s Reality Roundup is reporting that the story about Jace pulling a gun was sold to TMZ by an anonymous source.

Ashleigh believes that that source was none other than Jenelle. But thus far, she has yet to furnish any evidence of that claim.

Jenelle Evans does not look happy in this picture from her 'Teen Mom' days.
Jenelle Evans does not look happy in this picture from her Teen Mom days. (MTV)

Whatever the case, after Jenelle called the cops, Jace was taken to a nearby hospital for an assessment.

He was then transferred to a psychiatric care facility, where he remains as of this writing.

“My nephew did not pull a firearm out on [his] grandmother or himself. That is a lie,” Ashleigh wrote on X on Tuesday (via The Ashley).

“None of that [is] true… who[ever] keeps fabricating these lies is a sick person,” she continued, adding:

“The police also never found a gun in my mother’s house. That is a straight up lie.”

She later elaborated on the situation, writing, “[It’s] most likely my sister selling the story because she’s angry. She’s losing control.”

Jenelle Evans and her oldest son on Teen Mom.
Jenelle Evans and her oldest son, Jace Evans, on Teen Mom. (Image Credit: MTV)

An anonymous source has come forward to corroborate Ashleigh’s claims.

“He was really angry and damaged something in the house. The cops actually searched Barbara’s house and found no gun,” the source tells The Ashley.

The insider also refutes the claim that Barbara was “desperate” to have Jace committed.

“Quite the opposite actually,” the source says.

“Jenelle still has custody of Jace and continues to try to manipulate the situation, despite being in Vegas. She’s trying everything she can to get her way.”

Insiders have revealed that there have been some substance abuse issues, but nothing beyond what one would expect from a 16-year-old in a volatile situation.

They say the main issue is that Jace is upset that Jenelle is now back together with David Eason, her ex-husband who had previously been arrested for abusing Jace.

We will have further updates on this developing story as new information becomes available.

Jace Evans Was Institutionalized After Pulling Gun on Grandma, Source Claims was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip

Categories
Music

The Sweet Reason Russell Dickerson Won’t Write Breakup Songs

Russell Dickerson reveals why breakup songs just don’t do it for him. Continue reading…​The Boot – Country Music News, Music Videos and Songs

Categories
Music

The Sweet Reason Russell Dickerson Won’t Write Breakup Songs

Russell Dickerson reveals why breakup songs just don’t do it for him. Continue reading…​Country Music News – Taste of Country

Categories
Music

See Photos From Jelly Roll’s Grand Ole Opry Induction

Jelly Roll put another notch in his country music legacy with his official induction into the Grand Ole Opry. Continue reading…​The Boot – Country Music News, Music Videos and Songs

Categories
Music

See Photos From Jelly Roll’s Grand Ole Opry Induction

Jelly Roll put another notch in his country music legacy with his official induction into the Grand Ole Opry. Continue reading…​Country Music News – Taste of Country

Categories
Music

Buc-ee’s Hit With ‘F’ Ratings Across All Locations

Bucees has made headlines recently, but not for the reasons fans would hope. A surprising rating has customers raising eyebrows. Continue reading…​The Boot – Country Music News, Music Videos and Songs

Categories
Music

Buc-ee’s Hit With ‘F’ Ratings Across All Locations

Bucees has made headlines recently, but not for the reasons fans would hope. A surprising rating has customers raising eyebrows. Continue reading…​Country Music News – Taste of Country