Categories
Politics

ICE halted its surge in Maine. The state might not be quick to forget.

BANGOR, Maine — The federal immigration crackdown in Maine may have ended, but the political fallout could continue to reverberate through the 2026 election.

Democratic Gov. Janet Mills launched her first Senate campaign ad on Friday — and it’s focused on attacking Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Political newcomer Graham Platner, competing with Mills for the Democratic nomination, held an anti-ICE protest at Sen. Susan Collins’ offices in Maine on Thursday, calling for her to block funds for the agency.

The message from both Democrats was clear: Immigration enforcement politics is not going away, and they think it could be a winning issue as they look to unseat the only Republican senator up for reelection this year in a state former Vice President Kamala Harris won in 2024.

But Collins’ Thursday announcement that ICE was ending its immigration enforcement campaign in Maine — dubbed Operation Catch of the Day by the Department of Homeland Security — released some of the pressure that had been building in the state for more than a week, with local leaders expressing an initial sense of relief.

That campaign had left the state’s immigrant communities hiding in fear and Democrats and activists raging at their treatment. The surge disrupted life for many in southern Maine, with decreased attendance in schools, legal immigrants afraid to go to work and observers trailing ICE agents in the state.

Now, in the aftermath of an operation that led to more than 200 arrests and prompted widespread protests, lawmakers and community leaders are navigating the upheaval left behind. The political impact continues to ripple.

Collins’ announcement Thursday morning, which implied her conversations with Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem had helped sway the decision, is emblematic of how she wants voters to think of her: a powerful pragmatist who can get results, including by standing up to her own party. And it was a high-profile reminder of her longstanding case that her senior role in Washington helps her deliver for the Pine Street State.

Still, Democrats and activists, buoyed by rapidly shifting public opinion around immigration enforcement after videos of violent arrests and two fatal shootings in Minneapolis, are redoubling efforts for broader restrictions on ICE and its funding — along with a reckoning on what happened in Maine. Reports of the end of the operation in Maine, they said, are not enough.

“Senator Collins is going to try to use this moment to trick us. To say that she, somehow, used her power to impose upon ICE,” Platner said in protests at the senator’s Portland and Bangor offices on Thursday, held hours after the end of the surge was announced.

He mocked what he called a “pinky promise” she received from Noem to cheers from dozens of supporters who had gathered in Bangor in single-digit temperatures. “We all know it’s nonsense. What she is actually doing is trying to justify to us why she is about to try to give them 9 billion more dollars in funding.”

Platner demanded that Collins, the Senate’s top appropriator, cut off funding for ICE entirely, saying the Trump administration could not be trusted to follow the law.

Collins advocated for passing a DHS funding bill that Democrats blocked this week, citing its funding for body cameras for federal officers as well as de-escalation training. Negotiations are likely to continue in Washington after lawmakers agreed to pass just a two-week stopgap. Failure to pass DHS funding would not stop ICE, as the agency is well-funded from Trump’s major budget bill last summer, but Democrats are hoping to leverage anger at the agency to pressure the GOP for reforms. A Collins spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

The Maine senator’s positioning still held her somewhat as an outlier. Maine Republicans largely expressed support for federal immigration operations in the state while accusing Mills and Democrats of ginning up conflict with law enforcement. Local Republicans were largely quiet about Collins’ news of the drawdown.

Mills, in an interview earlier in the week, derided Collins’ calls for retraining ICE officers, telling POLITICO that the “horse was out of the barn already.” On Thursday, she characterized the drawdown of ICE operations as insufficient, calling for Noem’s removal at DHS as well as congressional action to halt ICE funding until measures are in place at the agency to prevent what she characterized as “abuses of power.”

“Until there are substantive measures and changes in place, no state — including Maine — is protected from the weaponization of Federal law enforcement agencies against its own citizens by the Trump Administration,” she said in a statement on Thursday.

Mills and Maine Attorney General Aaron Frey, a Democrat, sent a letter to Noem and Acting ICE Director Todd Lyons on Friday demanding information about the immigrants arrested in the state and where they are now.

Community leaders and lawmakers are also working to understand what the drawdown means in practice, what happened to those detained by ICE and how to begin restoring trust among immigrants who have barely left their homes in weeks.

“It is welcome news. ICE operations in Maine have failed to improve public safety and have caused lasting damage to our communities,” said Carl Sheline, the mayor of Lewiston, which is home to a large Somali American population and was one of the Maine cities to see significant ICE activity. “We will continue working to ensure that those who were wrongfully detained by ICE are returned to us.”

Maine House Speaker Ryan Fecteau, a Democrat from Biddeford, said among those detained by ICE was a man named Marcos, whom Fecteau had previously employed as a contractor working on his home. Fecteau said he talked on Thursday to the man’s wife, who said he was at an ICE facility in Arizona two days earlier, but the ICE database was no longer showing his whereabouts.

“Over the last week and a half there have been people in Maine who have been arrested and detained unlawfully. We want answers for those people. Who they are, where they are, what was the reason for their detention. Those things need to be answered,” Fecteau said. “I hope that Senator Collins, who clearly has some influence here — she spoke with Kristi Noem yesterday — I hope that was part of the conversation as well.”

In Augusta on Thursday, Maine lawmakers heard testimony over a bill that would require ICE to obtain judicial warrants to search private spaces of schools and health care facilities, among other locations.

Mills on Thursday threw her weight behind the new bill, citing in part the destabilizing effects of the recent surge. It was a notable move for the former prosecutor, who faced heat from progressives and Platner for not taking a stronger stance last year when she allowed a bill limiting law enforcement cooperation with ICE to go into effect without her signature, rather than signing it outright.

Activists and observers who had been trailing ICE in Maine noted some agents appeared to be off duty on Thursday, reflecting the drawdown.

“It’s good news. I hope it’s true. I hope that we can all find peace and rest in the next coming days,” Eric Nathanson, an activist with Jewish Action Maine who was arrested alongside other faith leaders earlier in the week while protesting at Collins’ Portland office. “If the surge is on pause, we reiterate the goal of no additional funding even more strongly.”

But the images and experiences from the past week were not easily forgotten.

“Three people in the past week were abducted in front of my workplace. My coworkers had to watch an ICE agent beat and drag people out of cars,” Nathanson said. “We will stay strong and stay vigilant.”

​Politics

Categories
Entertainment

Demond Wilson Cause of Death: ‘Sanford and Son’ Star Was 79

Reading Time: 2 minutes

We have tragic news to report from the world of television today.

Demond Wilson — the actor who was best known for the role of Lamont on the classic sitcom Sanford and Son — has passed away.

He was 79 years old.

American actors Red Foxx (1922 - 1991) (left) Demond Wilson in a still from the television series, 'Sanford And Son,' c. 1974.
American actors Red Foxx (1922 – 1991) (left) Demond Wilson in a still from the television series, ‘Sanford And Son,’ c. 1974. (Photo by NBC Television/Courtesy of Getty Images)

News of Wilson’s passing comes courtesy of TMZ, who says that they spoke with his son, Demond Wilson Jr.

The younger Wilson stated that his father died at his home in Palm Springs following a battle with cancer.

“I loved him. He was a great man,” Demond Jr. said.

Wilson was cast on Sanford and Son — opposite comedy legend Redd Foxx — after wowing producers with a guest spot on All In the Family.

In the 2011 book Black and Blue: The Redd Foxx Story, Wilson revealed that he didn’t think the show would be a hit, but he took the job anyway, hoping that it would serve as a springboard to bigger things.

“After learning about the series format, I was doubtful about my involvement in the project. I thought about it long and hard and decided to take a chance,” Wilson said.

“Redd and I thought we could grab some quick cash, plus notoriety, then move on to the next project.”

But to the surprise of both leads, Sanford and Son went on to become a massive hit.

Airing Friday nights at 8 pm, the show was soon dominating juggernauts like The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour and The Brady Bunch in the ratings.

'Sanford and Son' star Demond Wilson has passed away.
‘Sanford and Son’ star Demond Wilson has passed away. (YouTube)

The show reached the number two overall spot in the 1972-73 ratings race, and it was a top ten hit in each of its last five seasons.

Wilson kept the show running on his own after Foxx exited over a salary dispute during the 1974 season.

But shortly thereafter, Foxx quit for good in order to host his own variety show. Wilson declined the offer to continue starring in the show without his co-lead.

Instead, he accepted a lucrative deal playing a man who returns to the family he abandoned in a CBS sitcom titled Baby … I’m Back. The show lasted just 13 episodes.

Wilson was the last of the surviving main cast members on Sanford and Son.

Our thoughts are with his loved ones during this incredibly difficult time.

Demond Wilson Cause of Death: ‘Sanford and Son’ Star Was 79 was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip

Categories
Music

REPORT: Greg Biffle Was Not Flying His Plane Before Fatal Crash

Investigators have pinpointed one possible contributing factor to the crash. Continue reading…​The Boot – Country Music News, Music Videos and Songs

Categories
Music

REPORT: Greg Biffle Was Not Flying His Plane Before Fatal Crash

Investigators have pinpointed one possible contributing factor to the crash. Continue reading…​Country Music News – Taste of Country

Categories
Entertainment

Tim Burton Celebrates Catherine O’Hara’s “Light” Following Her Death

Tim Burton and Catherine O'Hara speak onstage during the Warner Bros. Pictures Presentation during CinemaCon 2024 at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace on April 09, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Tim Burton is remembering Catherine O’Hara’s legacy on and off the screen.
The Beetlejuice director opened up about his unbreakable bond with the actress—who played Delia Deetz in both the…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Sports Fox

NASCAR’s Preseason Clash Postponed to Monday Because of Snow

NASCAR has embarked on a season where it hopes to generate some enthusiasm from the roots of the sport. Racing in the snow wasn’t included in that list. NASCAR has postponed its preseason exhibition Clash, moving it from Sunday night to Monday afternoon because of snow in North Carolina. The 200-lap exhibition race at the quarter-mile Bowman Gray Stadium — a historic track owned by the city of Winston-Salem that also serves as the football home of Winston-Salem State University — is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. ET on Monday, Feb. 2. Practice and qualifying is set for 11 a.m. ET Monday on FS2, with the 75-lap last-chance qualifying race kicking off the coverage on FOX at 4:30 p.m. ET. Forecasts predict that up to nine inches of snow will fall in the area on Saturday — a part of the country not accustomed to that type of snowfall. After more than an inch had fallen Saturday morning, the league made the decision. FOX Weather forecasts that the snow will end on Saturday night, with temperatures in the 30s on Monday and in the 40s on Tuesday. There is no minimum temperature needed for NASCAR to conduct the race, but drivers could have concerns about their tires and brakes in the cold. Temperatures will be in the 20s by the time the main event starts Monday. “We’re going slow enough at Bowman Gray, I don’t think that the cars themselves, the engines, will be too cold or anything like that,” said 23XI Racing driver Tyler Reddick in a media call Thursday. “If we were running a really big race track with that amount of [cold] air, maybe. …. We’ll just kind of see what it does, if the [tires] lay rubber.” NASCAR has said it is treating this event just like any other race weekend with a weather challenge by racing once it feels it can hold the event. The next on-track activity following the Clash is practice and qualifying on Feb. 11 at Daytona. “If we do get a bunch of snow and it’s Monday, Tuesday or even goes out further, I think, we’ll be just fine in order to be able to get to Daytona,” said Joe Gibbs Racing driver Christopher Bell in a media call Friday. The track surface should be ready by Monday. One complication could be any melting snow from up against the wall (some of the wall barrier is two sections as part of the SAFER Barrier system) melting and then possibly re-freezing. “Our biggest obstacle right now is we need to get the snow to stop, and we need to get the wind to die down,” said Justin Swilling, who oversees Clash operations for NASCAR. “After that, I’m very confident in our team and our equipment that we can get this place race ready, and we can put on a good show for fans on Monday. “We just need Mother Nature to stop as soon as she can, and we need the wind to die down, and we’ll be in a good place.” The other big issue is can the infrastructure safely handle fans? The stadium seats 17,000 and all the personnel needed to conduct the race will also need access to the facilities. A storm a week earlier had still left many of the city streets — while passable — with icy spots that are now covered with snow. Most of the teams are also based about an hour away, so the ability of crews to get to the race also would be considered. Swilling said NASCAR is in constant communication with city and state transportation officials to determine when teams and fans could potentially start coming to the facility. The cars for the race currently are nearby at the Winston-Salem Farigrounds (where they are inside to avoid the cold temperatures) and the current plan is for the team transporters to take the cars to the track early Monday morning.​Latest Sports News from FOX Sports

Categories
Entertainment

Found: Kyle Richards’ “Holy Grail” Moisturizer Is Secretly on Amazon

kylecream thumbnail.jpg
When it comes to product recommendations, Kyle Richards will never lead you astray. Case in point, the hidden gem Amazon moisturizer she calls her “holy grail.”
On an Amazon Live session, The Real…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Food

The Origins Of Draft Beer Go Way, Way Back

Draft beer may seem like a modern convenience, but the history of beer on tap goes back centuries to Europe in the late 1600s and beer engines.

​Food Republic – Restaurants, Reviews, Recipes, Cooking Tips

Categories
Entertainment

Family Guy Secrets That Are Anything but Shallow and Pedantic

Family Guy
Citizens of Quahog, raise a glass of Pawtucket Patriot Ale.
Because Family Guy is celebrating its 27th anniversary.
On Jan. 31, 1999—after FOX’s broadcast of Super Bowl XXXIII—audiences were…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Sports Fox

Michigan Coach Dusty May on Michigan State Fans: ‘No Way I’m Ducking This Smoke’

Prior to arguably the most anticipated Big Ten matchup of the season to date (No. 3 Michigan against No. 7 Michigan State), Wolverines head coach Dusty May made himself a meme. Sitting on the bench prior to the Friday night ranked matchup, the Michigan head coach was surrounded by a group of Michigan State fans yelling over his shoulder. What happened here? “I was actually just taking a peak,” May said in his postgame press conference following Michigan’s 83-71 win over MSU. “I thought, when we pulled in, the students were still lined up down the block and even when we rode in at the Kalamazoo entrance. There [was] a long line, and I assumed it was students. I was like, ‘Okay, they’re not in yet,’ but, man, we’re building. There’s a lot of anticipation for this game, and so I walked by and I was greeted as soon as I stuck my head out on the court. At that point, I was like, ‘There’s no way I’m ducking and running from this smoke now.'” “This stuff doesn’t bother me. I just let them get all their frustration and their animosity out early and then that way they can enjoy the game, so I felt like I contributed to the environment just a little bit.” As for the game, Michigan was 23 of 26 from the free-throw line, held Michigan State to 4 of 23 from behind the arc and was able to get a 12-point victory despite blowing an 18-point lead. For Michigan, Yaxel Lendeborg finished with a team-high 26 points, a game-high 12 rebounds and two blocks; Elliot Cadeau had 17 points, six assists and three rebounds; Morez Johnson Jr. had 12 points, four rebounds, three assists and two blocks; as for the opposition, Jeremy Fears Jr. had a game-high 31 points, seven assists, five rebounds and four steals for Michigan State. Monday’s in-state rivalry win moved Michigan to 20-1 overall and 10-1 in Big Ten play, good for first in the conference. This win also came three days after Michigan delivered No. 5 Nebraska its first loss of the season on Tuesday night in Ann Arbor. Meanwhile, Friday night’s loss dropped Michigan State to 19-3 overall and 9-2 in Big Ten play, good for fourth in the conference. Michigan and Michigan State will face off again on March 8 in Ann Arbor. Next up for Michigan is a home matchup against Penn State on Feb. 5 (6:30 p.m. ET on FS1 and the FOX Sports app).​Latest Sports News from FOX Sports