Categories
Alaska News Featured Juneau News juneau Juneau Local Juneau Local Ketchikan Local News Feeds Sitka Local

Voters will decide on renewing Juneau’s 3% sales tax in the fall

NOTN- Juneau voters will again decide whether to extend the city’s 3% temporary sales tax for another five years, which city staff say is critical to funding basic services.

The Assembly approved Ordinance 2026-13 Monday night, which places the question on the October 2026 ballot. The measure would continue a 3% tax from July 1, 2027, through July 1, 2032.

City Manager Katie Koester told Assembly members that Juneau’s total 5% sales tax is built from a 1% permanent base tax, a 1% temporary capital projects tax, and this 3% temporary levy that has been in place since 1983.

“The temporary 3% tax is used to fund really the bread and butter of city services. 1% is spent on operations, including police and fire, 1% is spent on streets and drainage projects and we’ve added some utility projects to that list as of late to again keep up with those utility projects. Then the other 1% goes to other needed CIP projects, often parks and playground maintenance, there’s some Eaglecrest funding in there.” Said Koester, “The 3% has been around for decades and really is part of how we’re able to provide basic city services. This ordinance puts 3% on the ballot this fall and I recommend the assembly take public testimony and adopt this ordinance.”

The ordinance passed without objection, sending the renewal to voters this fall.

Categories
Music

Lauren Alaina Opens Up About Breastfeeding in Public [EXCLUSIVE]

Being a new mom taught Lauren Alaina something she didn’t know about the kindness of strangers. Continue reading…​The Boot – Country Music News, Music Videos and Songs

Categories
Music

Lauren Alaina Opens Up About Breastfeeding in Public [EXCLUSIVE]

Being a new mom taught Lauren Alaina something she didn’t know about the kindness of strangers. Continue reading…​Country Music News – Taste of Country

Categories
Music

Jason Aldean Fired Employees Who Were ‘Badmouthing’ Him

Some of Jason Aldean’s road crew were pretty vocal about their opposition to his song ‘Try That in a Small Town.’ Those people aren’t on his payroll anymore. Continue reading…​The Boot – Country Music News, Music Videos and Songs

Categories
Music

Jason Aldean Fired Employees Who Were ‘Badmouthing’ Him

Some of Jason Aldean’s road crew were pretty vocal about their opposition to his song ‘Try That in a Small Town.’ Those people aren’t on his payroll anymore. Continue reading…​Country Music News – Taste of Country

Categories
Food

10 Food Tourist Traps To Avoid In Los Angeles

Like most cities designed to take your money, Los Angeles has their fair share of tourist traps. Here are some dining spots to skip in the city of angels.

​Food Republic – Restaurants, Reviews, Recipes, Cooking Tips

Categories
Music

Luke Bryan Reveals the Reason He Almost Passed on Becoming a Judge on ‘American Idol’

Luke Bryan is looking back on an unexpected career decision that led him to spend nearly a decade as a judge on American Idol. After officially wrapping his ninth season on the hit singing competition earlier this year, he spoke to Cigar Aficionado about his journey on the show and revealed that he was initially hesitant to take on the role.

He explains when the opportunity first arose for him to take a seat on the judging panel, his career was already keeping his schedule so booked that he wasn’t sure he would be able to handle adding something new to his plate. The Georgia native was seeing so much success in his career that stepping into a completely new world felt like a risk.

“At the time, I was doing stadium shows…I was as busy as a human being could be. So, I was a little reluctant to add another layer of commitment and concentration. When you’re selling out football stadiums and your albums are doing everything you’ve dreamed of, throwing a distraction in the mix was something that was a little bit challenging,” Bryan admitted.

Luke Bryan; Photo by Disney/Connie Chornuk
Luke Bryan; Photo by Disney/Connie Chornuk

The hitmaker put his fears aside and took the leap, joining Katy Perry and Lionel Richie on the American Idol Judging panel. His joined the show in in 2018 during the show’s 16th season, which also marked its first season airing on the ABC network.

He now is confident in the fact that saying “yes” was the right decision to make. The opportunity has introduced him to a new community of fans and experiences that have given him even more knowledge on the industry that he can now pass on to the next generation.

  “…at the end of the day, I kind of made the decision to do it. And nine years later, still at the desk and I look back and it’s been an amazing experience for me. The lessons and things that I’ve learned are just countless,” Bryan added.

Luke Bryan’s future on American Idol has yet to be determined, but it has been announced that the iconic series will be returning for its milestone 25th season. While the show will not premiere on ABC until 2027, auditions for the next American Idol begin Tuesday, Aug. 25, with the return of “Idol Across America,” the live virtual nationwide search for the next superstar.

Taking place across all 50 states plus Washington, D.C., the auditions will allow a brand-new crop of talented singers to showcase their talents face-to-face with an “American Idol” producer, from anywhere in America, across any official audition date. From there, producers will decide who will continue to the next round with the judge auditions.

The show reports that contenders will also be allowed to audition during open-call dates, and auditions will be open worldwide to all those eligible. 

“Idol Across America” auditions will be held as follows (subject to change):

  • VIP Day (Aug. 25): Only the first 250 singers who register will secure a spot for their chance to become the next Idol! Once all spots are claimed, registration for this date closes.
  • Florida, Michigan, Virginia, West Virginia (Aug. 26)
  • Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania (Aug. 27)
  • The South Open Call (Aug. 31)
  • Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin (Sept. 1)
  • Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Washington (Sept. 2)
  • Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas (Sept. 8)
  • Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming (Sept. 9)
  • Nationwide Open Call (Sept. 11)
  • East Coast Open Call (Sept. 14)
  • Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina (Sept. 16)
  • Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont (Sept. 18)
  • West and Midwest Open Call (Sept. 21)
  • Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi (Sept. 23)
  • Delaware; Maryland; Ohio; Washington, D.C.; Rhode Island; Massachusetts (Sept. 25)
  • Nationwide Open Call (Sept. 28)

Those looking for more information on how to sign up for “Idol Across America” should visit americanidol.com/auditions.

The judges for the upcoming season have not been announced, however, if Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie were to reclaim their role, they would enter their 10th year while the newest judge to join the team, Carrie Underwood, would begin her third season on the show.

The post Luke Bryan Reveals the Reason He Almost Passed on Becoming a Judge on ‘American Idol’ appeared first on Country Now.

​Country Now

Categories
Music

Trace Adkins Says He’ll Keep Making Music ‘As Long As I Can Still Sing Those Songs’

Trace Adkins feels as though he’s already accomplished more in the past three decades of his career than he ever imagined he would, but he has no plans to slow down anytime soon. The hitmaker recently revealed that he’s still feeling stronger than ever behind the microphone, and that is enough motivation to continue playing shows and making new music.

“As long as I can still sing those songs in the same key that I recorded them in and I can still hit the licks and hit the notes and do all the things that I need to do. I guess I’ll just keep doing it,” he told Theo Von in a new episode of his This Past Weekend Podcast.

Trace Adkins Photo via YouTube
Trace Adkins Photo via YouTube

Adkins thought back to his football days, noting how he didn’t walk away from the game until he reached a point where he couldn’t play at the level that satisfied him. The same thing goes for music. When the day comes that he can no longer deliver the sound that fans keep coming back for, he will happily hang his hat up.

“I don’t want to be one of those guys. I’ve seen those guys. I’ve been to those shows where they’re still out doing it. And it’s like, ‘Dude, just quit. Just please stop. We don’t want to remember you like this.’ I don’t want anybody to say that about me ever.”

At the current stage of Adkins’ career, he believes that years of experience and giving up smoking have only sharpened his talent, allowing him to continue singing his catalog of hits while feeling more confident in his voice than ever before.

“I think I’m better at it now than I ever have been…I quit smoking and range got better. The bottom’s gotten better over the years. I mean, I can go deeper than I ever could, and that’s just going to get better,” he explained. “With age, your voice just gets lower and lower. But I haven’t lost anything on the top either. I can still hit everything on the top end that I always could. So hell, why not? Just keep doing it.”

This has given him the motivation to make a new country album. Adkins admits that after releasing his last full-length project in 2021, The Way I Wanna Go, he wasn’t sure if he would make another record, but upon reaching his 30th anniversary in country music this year, he realized that there’s no reason not to get back in the studio.

“It had 25 songs on it because we did that during COVID when we didn’t have anything else to do. So we just stayed in the studio all the time and ended up with 25 songs. I thought, ‘Okay, that’s it. I don’t have to do another record.’ And then when 30 years came along and my voice is still the way it is, I thought, ‘I guess I will do another record.’ And I’ve always been like that.’”

It’s unclear exactly when we will get this record or how it will sound, but it’s safe to say that Trace Adkins will approach it the same way he has with all his past projects and make the music on his own terms.  

Trace Adkins; Photo by John Shearer/ Getty Images
Trace Adkins; Photo by John Shearer/ Getty Images

These days, he says he has no interest in trying to compete with his fellow artists or fight for another No. 1 at country radio. After everything he’s accomplished over the past 30 years, he’s content with his career and is just enjoying the chance to keep doing what he loves.

“I’m not in there crossing swords with the young guys anymore. I don’t need to do that…I’ve had a great career. Don’t get me wrong. I’m totally content. I mean, I’m very happy. I’ve had a great run. It was a great ride, but things pass you by. People move on to different things, and I’m cool with that.”

Adkins continued, “I’ve been able to do what I wanted to do. I recorded what I wanted to record, sang what I wanted to sing, said what I wanted to say. I’ve had an opportunity to do some acting stuff and had a lot of fun doing that. So yeah, man, it’s great.”

Rather than worrying about what’s next, he finds himself appreciating just how far the journey has taken him.

“I did way more than I ever thought I would do. I mean, this whole thing was like, I would never have allowed myself to dream that big. I think I’m a realist in that respect. I wouldn’t have allowed myself to dream that I would have this kind of career and get to do this for as long as I’ve done it. No way. So everything’s gravy now.”

The post Trace Adkins Says He’ll Keep Making Music ‘As Long As I Can Still Sing Those Songs’ appeared first on Country Now.

​Country Now

Categories
Music

Hudson Westbrook Delivers a Night to Remember for Sold-Out Rosemont Crowd

Just two years after dropping out of college to pursue country music full time, Hudson Westbrook is already headlining sold-out venues and leaving his mark everywhere he goes. His recent stop at Joe’s Live in Rosemont, IL, proved just how just how quickly he’s built a loyal following, as fans filled the room and turned nearly every song into a massive singalong.

Fans came from all over to pack out the venue, with one attendee even telling Westbrook that they had been lined up outside since 9 a.m. to secure their spot for the highly anticipated performance.

Hudson Westbrook; Photo by Ian Noh
Hudson Westbrook; Photo by Ian Noh

As he stepped onstage, the emerging act took a moment to introduce himself and reflect on the journey that brought him there.

“Well, my name’s Hudson Westbrook. I’m from Stephenville, Texas. I went to college at Texas Tech University, dropped out, decided to make country music about two years ago. It’s my favorite thing in the world to come here and watch y’all sing songs back to me. So thank y’all for showing up.”

From the opening notes of “LMWYL,” Westbrook had the crowd completely locked in. He powered through a setlist that showcased both his ability to weave vulnerability into his storytelling and the high-energy Texas influence that fuels his live performances.

Hudson Westbrook; Photo by Ian Noh
Hudson Westbrook; Photo by Ian Noh

While it was impressive that every song had fans singing along, there were a few highlights that really took the energy up a notch, with some of his biggest reactions coming during fan favorites like “Weatherman,” “Dressed Down,” “Dopamine,” “Take It Slow,” “Sober,” “Painted You Pretty” and more.

The 60-minute show also offered fans a preview of what’s ahead, with Westbrook performing several of his latest releases including his collaboration with Gavin Adcock, “Cheap Thrills,” “Hits Me,” “Slow Hand” off Adcock’s Country Never Dies album, and “Backwards,” which he indicated is the beginning of his next chapter.

He then revealed that these new songs are all leading into his upcoming album, teasing it’s set to arrive “sooner than later.” The night also featured special moments throughout the set, including Westbrook’s rendition of Taylor Swift’s “You Belong With Me,” a song that has become a staple in his live performances and one that always prompts a strong reaction from the crowd.

The energy was high from the moment Westbrook stepped on to the stage, and he made sure to express his gratitude for everyone who spent their weeknight with him. That appreciation came full circle later in the night when he performed “5 to 9,” one of the final songs of his set and a fitting reminder to embrace life beyond working hours. As he sings, “I make my livin’ from 9 to 5, but we’re only livin’ from 5 to 9.”

He then closed things out with “House Again,” first opening up about the personal story behind the song, sharing how it was inspired by his parents’ divorce and the feeling of starting over in a place that felt less like a home and more like just a house. The vulnerable moment gave fans an even deeper connection to the song and served as a powerful end to the night.

“Y’all scream it at the top of y’all’s lungs if y’all know it and I’ll scream it back with y’all. Thank you so much god bless y’all, be safe and goodnight,” said Westbrook before the final singalong of the night broke out.

Hudson Westbrook; Photo by Ian Noh
Hudson Westbrook; Photo by Ian Noh

With a crowd that showed up hours early and stayed until the very last note, Hudson Westbrook’s Rosemont performance was another testament to the momentum behind his career. As he continues carving out his place in country music, nights like this highlight the special connection he’s already created with fans everywhere.

The post Hudson Westbrook Delivers a Night to Remember for Sold-Out Rosemont Crowd appeared first on Country Now.

​Country Now

Categories
Entertainment

Jared Leto Accused of Sexually Assaulting 4 Teens; Actor Denies Allegations

Reading Time: 2 minutes

In a scathing new BBC documentary, four women accuse Jared Leto of sexually assaulting them while they were still in their teens.

Now, Leto is pushing back against allegations detailed in a new BBC documentary, with the actor and musician firmly denying claims of criminal sexual conduct.

The Oscar winner released a statement after the film Jared Leto: Hollywood’s Dark Secret featured accusations from multiple women, including four who alleged misconduct occurred when they were teenagers.

Jared Leto attends CinemaCon 2025- Walt Disney Studios Invites you to its 2025 presentation highlighting its upcoming release schedule at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace during CinemaCon, the official convention of Cinema United, on April 3, 2025, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Jared Leto attends CinemaCon 2025- Walt Disney Studios Invites you to its 2025 presentation highlighting its upcoming release schedule at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace during CinemaCon, the official convention of Cinema United, on April 3, 2025, in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for CinemaCon)

Leto denied the allegations, saying he has never sexually assaulted anyone and calling the claims “absolutely and categorically false.”

“I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my entire life,” Leto said in his response (via USA Today).

The BBC documentary includes interviews with women who accuse Leto of inappropriate and criminal behavior spanning several years.

The film features accounts from 10 women, with four women making allegations of criminal sexual conduct.

Leto has denied the allegations and maintained that the claims made against him are untrue. Leto has disputed similar accusations that have surfaced in the past.

The documentary examines numerous accusations involving Leto, who has built a decades-long career as both an actor and musician.

The film includes interviews with individuals who describe alleged encounters with him, as well as accounts from people connected to his music career.

The allegations are disputed by Leto, and no criminal charges have been announced in connection with the claims reported in the documentary.

The controversy comes as Leto remains one of Hollywood’s most recognizable performers. He won an Academy Award for his role in the 2013 Dallas Buyers Club and has also served as the lead singer of Thirty Seconds to Mars since 1998.

It’s unclear at this time if the accusations against Leto will result in any civil or criminal actions.

We will have further updates on this developing story as new information becomes available.

Jared Leto Accused of Sexually Assaulting 4 Teens; Actor Denies Allegations was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip