Categories
Politics

Democrats are cashing in after DOJ failure to indict them

The six Democrats who urged military servicemembers in a video not to comply with illegal orders notched a significant legal win when federal prosecutors failed to criminally indict them. Now they’re looking to gain political momentum and build their campaign war chests.

“We are not done,” said Pennsylvania Rep. Chrissy Houlahan at a press conference alongside fellow House members.

“We will continue to push back. The tide is turning and accountability is coming,” Colorado Rep. Jason Crow said in a video posted to social media.

Michigan Sen. Elissa Slotkin said in a fundraising email: “They tried to indict me.”

The group of Democrats, including two senators and four House members with backgrounds in national security, came out swinging against President Donald Trump and the Justice Department Wednesday for what they said was an abuse of power and a threat against all Americans’ right to freedom of speech. In addition to a flurry of social media posts and two afternoon press conferences, several have been making the cable news rounds and scheduled appearances on high-profile late night TV shows — signs that they see political opportunity in Trump’s attacks and are hoping to bottle that clout.

“Democrats have limited power at the federal level right now and need to leverage every opportunity to capitalize on Trump’s overreach and lawlessness to raise the necessary funds to ensure we have a balance of power at the end of the midterms,” said Democratic strategist Adrienne Elrod. “It takes resources to get our message out, hold Trump to account, and win back seats, and I’m glad these members are seizing on this moment and fighting back.”

As Democrats sharpen their attacks against Trump heading into the midterms, his Justice Department’s unprecedented attempt to prosecute the Democratic lawmakers — most of whom represent crucial battleground states like Michigan, Arizona, and Pennsylvania — has inadvertently elevated their profiles. And the Trump administration, by failing to secure an indictment after months of public sparring with the Democrats and threats from the president, has bolstered their credibility as bare-knuckle fighters who can take on Trump and win.

In this attention-driven political economy, Trump has given a valuable boost to a group of Democrats that includes some with an eye toward future leadership positions in the party – including for Slotkin and Sen. Mark Kelly of Arizona, who are often discussed as potential future presidential candidates.

“Trump has elevated them by his baseless attacks and his attempt to weaponize the judicial system against them that has flopped so hard,” said Democratic strategist Ian Russell. “That certainly has given them a platform – an even larger platform – as leaders who are focused on keeping our country safe, serving those who serve us, and so forth.”

The six members of Congress released a video on social media late last year urging military servicemembers to ignore illegal orders amid questions about the legality of the Trump administration’s strikes on alleged drug boats from Latin America. That quickly drew Trump’s ire and prompted the launch of an investigation into the group that they lambasted as politically motivated.

The Department of Justice’s failure to indict the Democrats gave them a new opportunity to draw attention.

“Today wasn’t just an embarrassing day for the Administration. It was another sad day for our country,” Slotkin posted on X Tuesday night, as the first reports circulated that a grand jury had rejected the attempt to indict her and five Democratic colleagues.

Slotkin has become one of the party’s most prominent voices as it seeks to chart a path out of the political wilderness. Seizing on the new political attention — which can be hard to come by in a Republican-controlled Washington — she sent a fundraising appeal the next morning, held a press conference, went on TV and sent a barrage of posts on X.

“The investigations kept coming when we were quiet. So, if it’s going to be bad when you’re quiet, you might as well go on offense and have this conversation publicly,” Slotkin said in an interview on MS Now.

The strategy reflects a broader dynamic for the Democratic Party: Trump’s actions often serve as their best fundraising tool. A POLITICO analysis of ActBlue data this week found that many of the party’s largest online fundraising spikes last year came after a Democrat stood up to — or was attacked by — Trump.

“Trump elevating them is the kind of thing that makes Democratic donors, strategists, activists, go, ‘Ah, I like what I see,’” said Russell, the Democratic strategist.

That dynamic has proven especially true for Kelly, who is also in a protracted public battle with Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth over the video. Hegseth initiated a review of Kelly’s public comments that could demote the Navy captain’s rank and reduce his retirement pay. Kelly has sued to halt the review.

Kelly has emerged as a top Democratic fundraiser, the POLITICO analysis found, dominating online fundraising for weeks after the Pentagon announced the investigation even though he’s not up for reelection this year.

Shortly before news broke Tuesday night that a grand jury had declined to charge the Democrats, the Arizona senator blasted out another fundraising appeal that nodded to his legal proceedings. “What we need from this team, right now, is the peace of mind that Mark has all the resources he’ll need to stay the course,” said one fundraising email signed by “Team Kelly” on Tuesday.

At least two of the House Democrats investigated by the Justice Department sent similar pleas for cash in recent weeks. Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.) – who serves as one of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s recruitment co-chairs – asked supporters for $10 after detailing the federal inquiry opened into the video, and Rep. Chris Deluzio (D-Pa.) made clear in his own pitch that he would not “be intimidated by any harassment campaign.”

In addition to fundraising appeals and appearances on cable news shows, the House members — which also includes Maggie Goodlander of New Hampshire — presented a unified front at a Wednesday press conference, casting the effort as political retribution.

“This was about Donald Trump trying to send a message, a message that if you dare step out of line, if you dare dissent and speak up and push back against his agenda, that you will be crushed,” Crow, the Colorado Democrat, said at the press conference.

Longtime Democratic strategist Jesse Ferguson said the failed indictments — and broader message of retribution — gives lawmakers in his party a potent political argument: Democrats were right when they warned that Trump was going to use the justice system for his personal retribution.

“He proved they’re not the boy who cried wolf,” he said. “They’re the meteorologist who predicted the hurricane.”

​Politics

Categories
Sports Fox

Big Picture: North Dakota State Is Poised to Shake Up the FBS in Year 1

My phone rang at 9:15 a.m. CT. The number was unfamiliar, but I had a hunch and answered. “Hello?” “RJ, this is Tim Polasek,” he said. “How are you?” This is the head coach of North Dakota State, the steward of the most dominant program in modern FCS history. And yet, there were no airs, no assumption that I should already understand what his name, or his program, has meant to college football over the last 15 years. He did not present himself as the latest in a line of NDSU coaching heavyweights — from Craig Bohl to Chris Klieman — who helped deliver seven national titles in 15 years. He didn’t mention the Bison’s 9–5 record against FBS opponents in that span, or the six wins over Power 4 programs. But I knew. And chances are, you do, too. It’s why the program’s decision to leave the Missouri Valley Conference and join the Mountain West on July 1, 2026, as a football-only member, drew so much attention earlier this week. North Dakota State’s pedigree, combined with the looming departures of Boise State and Fresno State — winners of four of the last Mountain West titles — makes the Bison an immediate favorite to win the conference. But my question for Polasek wasn’t about competing for a conference title. It was about attempting to make history. “Do you think your team is capable of competing for the College Football Playoff?” I asked. “I think I like our team,” Polasek told me. “We’re going to have some learning and growing to do about our opponents, but I really like our process, the year-round work that we do and how we practice. Those things position us to be very competitive in every game. And if you happen to knock them down one at a time, there’s no reason NDSU can’t be in the conversation for the College Football Playoff.” The Bison have had time to consider the gravity of that task. The decision to move to the FBS has been at least four years in the making. While serving as Wyoming’s offensive coordinator, Polasek said his predecessor at North Dakota State — now Fresno State coach Matt Entz — spoke with him about the possibility as far back as 2021. But it wasn’t until nearly a month ago that the move felt not only possible, but likely. “I just had my focus on the process of things that needed to get done as an FCS program, but then there was obviously a shift and an excitement level that this thing could become a reality,” Polasek told me. North Dakota State will pay the Mountain West $12.5 million to enter the conference and the NCAA $5 million to reclassify from FCS to FBS. The next hurdle for Polasek and the program is convincing the NCAA to waive the mandatory two-year probationary period for FCS teams moving to FBS. If the NCAA denies the waiver, the Bison would be ineligible to compete for the Mountain West championship or the College Football Playoff until 2028. On top of that, the program will likely need to increase its operating budget for football. Given that the school recently opened a $54 million indoor stadium, funded entirely by private donors, Polasek does not anticipate football finances being a concern. “I haven’t given it much thought at all,” he told me, “but I believe that we would not be making this transition if we didn’t think we could position ourselves to be competitive from a budget standpoint and facility standpoint most certainly.” North Dakota’s recent success, combined with past results of programs making the transition from FCS to FBS, indicate the Bison will hit the ground running: Four of the last six teams to make the same move have won six or more games in their first season of FBS competition. Curt Cignetti’s 2023 James Madison team finished 10-0 and, two years later, reached the CFP. Now, the 137th team in the Football Bowl Subdivision hopes to persuade the NCAA to give it a chance to reach the CFP in Year 1. When Polasek and I finished talking, I felt then what I feel now: there has never been a program better prepared to do just that. In the Big Picture, we contextualize key moves and moments so you can instantly understand why they matter.​Latest Sports News from FOX Sports

Categories
Entertainment

Bath & Body Works Has a New Disney Princess Collection

BBW Disney Princess Thumb New.jpgDisney fans, listen up! A new collection is launching this week with Bath & Body Works, and it’s totally fit for royalty.
The next chapter of Bath & Body Works x Disney Princess is arriving on…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Entertainment

Kelsea Ballerini Hints at Reason for Chase Stokes Breakup

Kelsea Ballerini, 2025Kelsea Ballerini might know about what it takes to make Xs.
Less than a week after it was confirmed the “Penthouse” singer and Chase Stokes had split again following their December reconciliation,…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Entertainment

Did Jersey Mike’s Actually Start In New Jersey?

Some fast food joints get their names randomly, but the story behind Jersey Mike’s is firmly rooted in its storied history, which began in 1956.

​Mashed – Fast Food, Celebrity Chefs, Grocery, Reviews

Categories
Entertainment

Skims’ Presidents’ Day Sale Has $10 Panties, $20 Bras & More Deals

skimssale thumbnail.jpgWhat’s more iconic than Skims? A Skims Presidents’ Day sale with deals staring at just $10. Everybody say thank you Kim Kardashian!
During Skims’ Presidents’ Day sale, you’ll find discounts on…
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Food

For Thriving Mustard Greens, Follow This Timing Rule

The good news is mustard greens are easy to grow and quite prolific, but even these plants require some forethought before the seeds go into the ground.

​Food Republic – Restaurants, Reviews, Recipes, Cooking Tips

Categories
Entertainment

Why Khloe Kardashian Slapped Tristan Thompson After Romantic Gesture

Khloe Kardashian, Tristan ThompsonNot even Cupid could’ve helped Tristan Thompson with his romantic gesture for Khloe Kardashian.
The Kardashians star recalled a time when her ex-boyfriend surprised her with a serenade by Giveon….
​E! Online (US) – Top Stories

Categories
Entertainment

When You Should (And Shouldn’t) Use Hot Sauce At A Mexican Restaurant, According To A Chef

To grab, or not to grab? If that is the question you ask yourself every time you’re at a Mexican restaurant, our expert source on the matter has some pointers.

​Mashed – Fast Food, Celebrity Chefs, Grocery, Reviews

Categories
Entertainment

Bad Bunny Instagram: Wiped Clean in Wake of Super Bowl Halftime Show!

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Bad Bunny is starting fresh.

In the wake of a Super Bowl performance that was lauded by anyone who isn’t a racist buffoon, the wildly popular singer surprised Instagram followers this week when he deleted ALL the posts in his account.

The feed is currently empty.

It’s not clear why.

(Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

Relatedly, meanwhile, Bad Bunny (born Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio) also deleted his profile picture, as well as unfollowed every profile with which he used to interact.

The only trace that the Puerto Rican native left was a link to his 2025 album Debí Tirar Más Fotos in his bio.

Weird, right?

On Sunday night, the Grammy winner rocked an all-white outfit as he began his powerful performance inside of Levi’s Stadium with “Tití Me Preguntó” in a field of sugar canes … as background dancers filled the field behind him.

His set was a love letter to Puerto Rican culture, featuring older men playing dominoes, children sleeping on chairs at parties, village homes and people enjoying piragua treats.

It was seriously amazing. Unless you’re a sitting President who is constantly trying to ignore a culture war.

Bad Bunny performs onstage during the Apple Music Super Bowl LX Halftime Show at Levi's Stadium on February 08, 2026 in Santa Clara, California.
Bad Bunny performs onstage during the Apple Music Super Bowl LX Halftime Show at Levi’s Stadium on February 08, 2026 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

“The Super Bowl Halftime Show is absolutely terrible, one of the worst, EVER! It makes no sense, is an affront to the Greatness of America, and doesn’t represent our standards of Success, Creativity, or Excellence,” Donald Trump wrote over the weekend on social media.

“Nobody understands a word this guy is saying, and the dancing is disgusting, especially for young children that are watching from throughout the U.S.A., and all over the World…

“There is nothing inspirational about this mess of a Halftime Show and watch, it will get great reviews from the Fake News Media, because they haven’t got a clue of what is going on in the REAL WORLD — And, by the way, the NFL should immediately replace its ridiculous new Kickoff Rule. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

Bad Bunny poses with the Album of the Year, Best Música Urbana Album, and Best Global Music Performance Awards during the 68th GRAMMY Awards at Crypto.com Arena on February 01, 2026 in Los Angeles, California.
Bad Bunny poses with the Album of the Year, Best Música Urbana Album, and Best Global Music Performance Awards during the 68th GRAMMY Awards at Crypto.com Arena on February 01, 2026 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images for The Recording Academy)

Bad Bunny is an American citizen, of course.

He’s also the most downloaded artist on the planet and the most recent winner of Album of the Year at the Grammys.

The guy is quite talented, very well known and absolutely beloved.

“I have a lot of guests,” Bad Bunny said during the Apple Music press conference February 5, previewing his upcoming act and adding:

“It’s going to be my family, my friends and all the Latino community around the world that support me, the whole country. There’s so many people who support me around the world.”

Bad Bunny Instagram: Wiped Clean in Wake of Super Bowl Halftime Show! was originally published on The Hollywood Gossip.

​The Hollywood Gossip