
NOTN -City officials provided an update Monday on the controversial Telephone Hill redevelopment project, as eviction notices for the final tenants took effect on Saturday Nov. 1.
Mayor Beth Weldon said four residents remained on the hill at the end of October, and according to Deputy Mayor Greg Smith the city believes a few residents remain, though one individual was granted an extension for medical reasons.
Weldon said city contractors will next assess the historic homes for asbestos and lead paint before demolition and take geotechnical samples to confirm the stability of the bedrock beneath the site.
“We do have a plan,” Weldon said. “It just might not be the plan that some people want us to have.”
“People had said, why not second and Franklin? or other properties in town, those are significantly smaller than Telephone Hill.” Said Deputy Mayor Smith.
Although other CBJ-owned properties, like 450 Whittier Street, are being evaluated for development, city officials say none have the same size or potential impact.
Demolition and environmental testing are expected to proceed through the winter.
Weldon also mentioned an FAQ on the project attached to the meeting packet, a summary can be found below.
Telephone hill is city-owned and an assessment found the homes ranged from fair to hazardous condition, with likely mold, lead, and asbestos. Officials said the buildings are unsafe and prohibitively expensive to rehabilitate.
The Assembly approved $5.5 million to fund demolition and site preparation, including hazardous materials disposal, grading, excavation, and utility trenching. Most of the funding comes from voter-approved 1% sales tax revenue and the Lands Special Revenue Fund, with $1 million coming from the general fund.
After demolition, site preparation will begin in 2026 to establish buildable lots, utilities, and new subdivisions. The city expects the site to be “ready for vertical construction” in 2027, with a developer partner selected in early 2026.
Plans call for up to 155 housing units across four new buildings, with 20% designated as affordable housing.
The remaining units would be market-rate. Officials said the redevelopment could double the number of affordable units previously available on the hill.
City leaders say the site, one of the largest undeveloped parcels in downtown Juneau , is already zoned for mixed use, with utilities and road access in place.
The Telephone Hill park, switchback trail, and adjacent parking garage will remain unchanged. Developers will be encouraged to include green spaces, pocket parks, and community gathering areas as part of redevelopment.
Officials said no additional parking is required due to the property’s location within Juneau’s downtown “zero-parking zone.”









