NOTN- Juneau Mayor Beth Weldon said city officials are taking new safety precautions after a man previously banned from City Hall returned during Monday night’s Assembly meeting and caused alarm among members as well as an hour delay preceding this month’s reorganization meeting.

Weldon said the man, who has a history of making threatening remarks toward the city, appeared wearing a mask and goggles, carrying a backpack, and taking photos while standing close to Assembly members.

“He’s been trespassed from City Hall and showed up yesterday and
was menacing to the assembly, looming over them and taking pictures of us.” Said Weldon “It just was very uncomfortable for all of us, because we knew his history.”

Police escorted the man out peacefully, and Weldon said he will now be trespassed from all city meeting spaces, including Centennial Hall and City Hall.

She emphasized that the incident was not connected to ongoing public testimony about the controversial Telephone Hill redevelopment project, which has drawn strong emotional responses but no threats.

“The testimony from Telephone Hill residents has been very heartfelt,” Weldon said. “At no time have we felt threatened by them.”

The meeting did however, mark the close of the 2025 municipal election cycle as newly elected members were officially sworn into office.

Ella Adkison began her first full term as Areawide Assemblymember, Greg Smith started his final three-year term representing District 1, and Nathaniel “Nano” Brooks took office for his first term in District 2. On the School Board, Steve Whitney and Melissa Cullum each began three-year terms, while Jenny Thomas will serve two years to complete an unexpired seat.

Voters approved two citizen-led propositions, one lowering the property tax cap from 12 to 9 mills, and another creating sales tax exemptions for food and essential utilities, both tax measures will be in place November 20.

A third measure, proposing a seasonal sales tax, failed.

Recent News