
NOTN- Most City and Borough of Juneau facilities and schools reopened Monday after crews removed more than 3 million pounds of snow and ice from rooftops across the city, though officials warned that avalanche danger, high winds and heavy rain could create renewed hazards through Wednesday.
Deputy City Manager Robert Barr said city crews and contractors worked through the past week to prepare buildings for safe occupancy.
“We got a lot of work done.” Said Barr, “CBJ teams, our contractors, did a lot getting ready for facilities to reopen. The warming weather, I would say, mostly helped us, but the rain definitely presented some new challenges too. Over the past week or so, our crews and contractors removed over 3 million pounds of snow and ice from our roofs, that work, combined with the work of our engineering team doing all those roof assessments, got us to where we are today.”
All Juneau School District schools and CBJ facilities reopened Monday, except for Mendenhall River Community Schools, which remained closed while contractors complete snow removal from roofs.
City officials are now closely monitoring another weather system expected to move through the panhandle today into Wednesday.
High wind warnings have been issued for much of the panhandle through 9 p.m. Wednesday. Winds are expected to increase rapidly this afternoon, first across southern communities and then moving north. Gusts of up to 70 mph are possible as the front pushes through late today, before gradually decreasing but remaining elevated into Wednesday.
Forecasts also call for two to three inches of rain, conditions that could significantly increase avalanche danger.
“We will be actively monitoring that pattern with our partners at the Weather Service and DOT, and everyone else that’s involved with it so that we can understand what that might mean for avalanche risk. And of course, we’ll communicate that as it as it evolves.” Said Barr.
As a precaution, Thane Road will be closed at the avalanche gates beginning at noon today due to high avalanche hazard. The closure will be re-evaluated at 6 a.m. Wednesday.
Officials warned that if a natural avalanche reaches the roadway, debris removal may not be possible until conditions improve or hazard levels decrease naturally.
Barr thanked residents who reported drainage issues the city, saying the information helped crews clear storm drains and access fire hydrants.
“I want to express appreciation and really thank everyone who has reached out to us, really appreciate people giving us a heads up about where they see that localized flooding or ponding because a storm drains not clear.”
Residents can report more drainage issues or hazards at emergencyresponse@juneau.gov.
Juneau’s emergency declaration issued last week has brought additional assistance from the State Emergency Operations Center. Barr said the state is helping with documentation for potential reimbursement, coordinating with insurance providers, supplying new avalanche monitoring equipment installed Sunday, and supporting drone flights for situational awareness. Helicopter support is planned once weather conditions allow.
Centennial Hall will remain open as an emergency shelter for the foreseeable future, as long as evacuation advisories remain in place.




















